Northern League: Home-Jackson's stunning four-goal salvo inspires Ryhope CW success '“ ahead of SAFC date

Josh Home-Jackson had a day to savour as Ryhope CW moved up to ninth place with a tremendous 5-3 win at lowly Penrith.

Monday, 2nd October 2017, 2:30 pm
Updated Wednesday, 4th October 2017, 9:45 am
Chester-le-Street (hoops) take on Esh Winning in Saturday's Division Two clash. Picture by Tim Richardson

He netted four goals in a sensational 10-minute spell, early in the second half to inspire the Wearsiders.

However, Penrith had taken the lead after 37 minutes, when Grant Davidson headed home superbly.

Just after half-time, Home-Jackson scored twice in two minutes to give Ryhope a 2-1 lead, only for Jonathan Murray to equalise in the 54th minute.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Home-Jackson was at it again shortly after, again netting twice in successive minutes again, one from the penalty spot, to make it 4-2.

Matty Weirs added a fifth Ryhope goal in the 62nd minute and, although Robbie Hebson pulled one back for Penrith, the visitors comfortably held on for their fourth away win of the season, just one fewer than they managed all last term.

Ryhope CW assistant manager Stu Gooden said: “It was a bit scrappy in the first half and although we were looking dangerous, it took us a while to find the net.

“We have a really good squad at present and trust all the players and it’s the best squad we have had, in terms of competing in this league.”

Ryhope have a big match looming on Wednesday night, with Sunderland AFC the visitors.

Gooden added: “It’s our 125th anniversary on Wednesday evening and we are playing Sunderland’S Under-23s team with a 7pm kick-off, to try to raise some funds for the club.

“All the players and officials are looking forward to the game – It should be a cracker!”

Sunderland RCA dropped below their neighbours to 10th place after a 2-0 defeat at North Shields.

Two goals either side of half-time, the first from a penalty by Gareth Bainbridge and the second netted by Gary Ormston, were enough to give the third-top hosts the spoils.

Seaham Red Star remain eighth despite going down 2-1 at in-form Stockton Town.

Stockton took a sixth-minute lead through Jamie Owens, when he drove a shot past goalkeeper Jordan Harkess. On the stroke of half -time, Owens made it 2-0, when he headed home from a corner.

Red Star were back in the game, seven minutes into the second half, when Callum Munro got the last touch after a goalmouth scramble, but Stockton held out for the win.

Washington remain in the bottom three, after a 3-0 loss away at Bishop Auckland.

Andrew Johnson put the Two Blues ahead with a good finish on the half hour mark and, although both teams had further chances to score, it was not until 15 minutes from time, when Andre Bennett scored a rebound from the post.

Johnson made it 3-0 with nine minutes left.

Consett lost 4-2 at home to West Auckland, who leap-frogged their opponents into fourth place.

Nathan Fisher fired the visitors in front, when he nicely beat goalkeeper Ross Coombe, but Danny Craggs equalised just before the break.

West then went 2-1 up in the 48th minute, when Darren Richardson smashed the ball home, only for David Dowson to level things up from the penalty spot.

However, with nine minutes left, Fisher bagged West’s winner.

Billingham Synthonia remain rooted to the bottom of the league, without a win in 12 matches, after 3-0 defeat away to Guisborough Town.

Defender David Hillerby was sent off for using an elbow in the 35th minute and the goals came in the second half, as Louis Goldsack, Nathan Steel and Mason McNeill all scored within a 13-minute spell.

Alex Kempster and Kyle Patton, with a scrambled effort four minutes into stoppage time, earned Whitley Bay a 2-2 draw at home to Ashington, who had Salmon and McAndrew on target.

Mark Davison and Jordan Fry, with an 82nd-minute header, secured a 2-1 Morpeth Town win over Newton Aycliffe, who levelled through Kieran Duffy-Weekes.

Mark Fitzpatrick, Dan Lowther and Liam Thear edged Dunston UTS home 3-2 against Jarrow Roofing, who relied on Dennis Knight and an own goal.

Marske United beat Team Northumbria 3-1, thanks to efforts from Leon Carling, Craig Gott and Danny Earl.