Mark Shaw murder trial: Woman denies torturing boyfriend

A murder suspect told police she was at the scene when her boyfriend was "tortured" and killed but denied playing any part in the violence, jurors have heard.

Thursday, 12th October 2017, 2:41 pm
Updated Monday, 11th December 2017, 7:10 pm
Mark Shaw

Mark Shaw was tied up, beaten, bitten, gagged, attacked with weapons and stabbed to death at his home in Grange Villa, County Durham, in December last year.

The 29-year-old suffered multiple injuries across his body in the "sustained" attack, which prosecutors claim was at the hands of his girlfriend Zoe Warren, 19, and neighbour Keiran Adey, 19.

His body was found, still bound at the ankles, in a bedroom at his home.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Newcastle Crown Court heard Warren, who had been Mr Shaw's girlfriend for "just a few days" but had known him previously due to a common association with the Washington area, confessed to her part in the killing to a new man she was a in a relationship with a few weeks later.

It is claimed she even bragged that she had "got away with murder" after the attack, jurors heard.

Warren of Chipchase, Washington, Wearside, and Adey, 19, of Queen Street, Grange Villa, both deny murder and are being tried by a jury.

Jurors have heard Adey made no comment to questions put to him by detectives after the killing.

Warren told police she was at Mr Shaw's house when he was attacked by Adey but said she had no part in it.

She told detectives: "Keiran tortured him that night.

"What he did was cruel."

The court heard Mr Shaw suffered over 80 injuries to his body, across his head, torso and limbs.

Warren said she was "in shock" during the attack but "100 per cent" denied being any part of it.

She told police: "I loved Mark to bits, he was my best mate.

"I did everything that night to try and save him and prevent it happening but I failed."

Warren, who was interviewed as a witness and a suspect, told police she felt Like a "coward" after the killing but had feared her life was also in danger that night.

She added: "I wasn't involved with the murder at all, no way. I didn't assault him."

She added during questioning: "I would not end anyone's life".

Warren also denies a charge of intimidation in relation to an angry letter she allegedly sent to the new man, who she "turned on" after he became a witness in the case.

Warren denies murder and intimidation.

Adey denies murder.

The trial continues.