Man's city ban lifted after court quashes sex offence conviction

A Durham man who was convicted of a sex offence said to have been carried out in the queue of a railway station Burger King has had his conviction overturned.

Friday, 18th May 2018, 1:48 pm
Updated Friday, 18th May 2018, 3:36 pm
The appeal hearing was held at York Crown Court.

Kyler John McLoughlin, 22, of Stringer Terrace in Durham, was given a 12 month community order and placed on the Sex Offenders Register for five years after being found guilty of sexual assault.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Mr McLoughlin was also ordered to pay an £85 victim surcharge and £500 in court costs and was banned from entering York by the city's magistrates' court on January 22.The incident happened at the Burger King branch in York station, when it was said a woman was molested as she waited in the queue for the fast food counter on June 24 last year.

He appealed against his conviction and an appeal was held at York Crown Court, where a judge sat with two magistrates for the hearing.

They agreed to quash the conviction after hearing details of the incident and reviewing evidence earlier this month.