Inquest adjourned into the death of Wearside granddad following fight at nightclub

A jury sitting in the inquest of a granddad who died on a night out has been sent home for the day as legal discussions continue.

Thursday, 4th October 2018, 3:45 pm
Updated Friday, 5th October 2018, 1:33 am
Police at the scene at Loveshack in Durham City.

Stewart Anderson, 54, from Hetton, died in the early hours of Sunday, July 24, 2016, after a disturbance in the Loveshack club in Durham City.

He and another man were removed from the bar and restrained by bouncers, with door staff and police realising he had fallen ill after handcuffs were placed on him.

The inquest hearing has been told Mr Anderson, a self-employed ceramic tiler, had been pinned down outside the venue after violence flared, with efforts made to revive him by police officers and door staff when he lost consciousnesses,

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Despite them giving CPR and treatment from paramedics, he was confirmed dead at the University Hospital of North Durham, also in Durham City.

This afternoon, the hearing at Crook Coroner's Court resumed with a further statement read out on behalf of bouncer Michael Box and a written reply from Dr Jennifer Bolton, the pathologist who had found Mr Anderson had died due to a mix of drink, drugs, heart disease and the stress of being restrained.

Earlier today, Mr Anderson's daughter Kay led a family tribute to the dad-of-two and granddad-of-one as a kind and caring man who had worked hard to provide for his loved ones.

In a statement read out loud by Charlotte Peacock, the officer helping senior assistant coroner Crispin Oliver, Mr Box, said he had been working at another venue in the Walkergate area when the fight broke out.

He said it was clear from the colour of Mr Anderson's face he was unconscious and they tried to see if he was still breathing while paramedics were on the way.

Mr Box said: "The police came down and realised he was in distress.

"The paramedic came down and it was very difficult for everybody concerned, there was a lot of panic going on when you'd seen the state of the guy."

Dr Bolton clarified a point whether it was possible to still be breathing when someone had suffered a cardiac arrest, replying that it was but not common.

Further information was also given by Detective Constable Alex Simms, who said there was only three door staff restraining Mr Anderson, as there had been some suggestions there had been four.

Adjourning the hearing for the day, Mr Oliver told the 11 jurors: "What we are going to do is stop and take the rest of the afternoon off.

"The lawyers and Kay are going to do a bit of work to pull things together and present a number of ways we can set out considerations and a summary of the evidence you have heard and appraise the discussions and factors in this case.

"I thank you very much for your attendance in this so far and for all the hard work you have done."

The hearing was adjourned until 9.30am tomorrow.