Hylton Sports Club sign off with Mark Blake Memorial Trophy success

Hylton Sports Club ended their inaugural season in style on Saturday, winning the Mark Blake Memorial Trophy final.

Monday, 21st May 2018, 11:30 am
Hylton Sports Club celebrate their first goal in Saturday's Mark Blake Memorial Trophy final against Hall Farm Glasshus. Picture by Tim Richardson

Hylton edged out city rivals Hall Farm Glasshus 4-3 in a thrilling final at Nissan.

Man of the match Michael Kennedy, Marc Moon, Corey Bell and Jack Curry did the damage for Hylton, with Lee Pearce, star man Carl Burns and Adam Elliott replying.

The Durham Alliance Combination League closes on Wednesday night when Hall Farm Glasshus have another crack at silverware, taking on Horden Community Welfare in the League Challenge Cup final, back at Nissan (7.30pm).

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hall Farm beat Horden 3-2 in last week’s Washington Aged Peoples Trophy final.

* Northern League club Stockton Town lost out on the big stage yesterday, as they succumbed to a 1-0 defeat to Thatcham Town in the Buildbase FA Vase final at Wembley

Hellenic League champions Thatcham started the game well with a couple of chances from Ekow Elliott, but Stockton keeper Michael Arthur made some fine saves.

The deadlock was broken in the 23rd minute, when Thatcham took the lead with a penalty scored by Shane Cooper-Clark, with Arthur narrowly missing out on making a save, getting a hand to the ball. It was Cooper-Clark’s 62nd goal of a prolific season.

The spot-kick was awarded when Jordan Brown broke past two men before being fouled by James Ward.

Early in the second half, Stockton had a great chance to level, but Fred Woodhouse’s effort was blocked by Thatcham defender Babourcarr Jarra.

Dale Mulligan headed over with another opportunity.

In the fourth minute of stoppage time, Thatcham cleared off the line following a corner which saw Arthur go up to challenge.

Thatcham broke clear following their narrow escape and sub Ross Cook took the ball towards an empty net, only for an incredible sliding tackle from Matthew Garbutt to keep the score at 1-0.