Halogen heater starts Sunderland house blaze

A halogen heater sparked a blaze in the bedroom of a Sunderland home this morning.

Thursday, 17th January 2019, 12:51 pm
Updated Friday, 18th January 2019, 12:35 am
Aiskell Street. Picture from Google Images

Crews from Sunderland Central and Farringdon fire stations were called to Aiskell Street in Millfield shortly after 8.30am.

The fire destroyed the heater and also caused damage to the carpet and furnishings.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: "We would remind people to be careful with heaters.

"Never leave them switched on when you leave the room, keep them away from curtains and other fabrics and never leave clothes on them to dry."