Glenn Foot happy to take his fighting chance
The Sunderland fighter will be in action on Friday, March 26 at Gateshead Leisure Centre against an opponent still be be finalised.
Foot started 2016 in fine style when he defeated Lukasz Janik at Houghton on Saturday.
The 28-year-old had the Pole down in the first round, but his opponent made it through to the final bell.
Foot was not concerned and was happy to get four rounds under his belt.
In fact, there was a perverse sense of pleasure that his right hand was given a severe test.
“In 120 amateur and pro fights, I don’t think I have hit a harder head!” said the Marly Pots hero.
“He could take a shot, I think if you look at his record, he’s not been stopped much.
“I could have taken him out, but after the first round I felt I should concentrate on just boxing.
“My right hand feels back to normal after a few niggles last year.
“It’s back to 100% and I felt sharp, the best I think I’ve boxed for a long time.
“I’m looking forward to getting back out again on the Fighting Chance show in Gateshead.”
He tipped the scales at bang on 11 stone, but hopes to shed a stone to make it down to the light-welterweight limit in May when boss Phil Jeffries plans to send him into action again as a warm-up for the Summer Rumble .
“The fight at Gateshead Leisure Centre will be at welterweight,” said the former Prizefighter champion.
“But I’ll be down to 10 stone in May and I’ll be fighting at light-welter at the Stadium of Light in July.
“Knowing that I’m boxing regularly will help.
“If I keep busy then I know I will be all right.
“I feel good, I feel focused and I guarantee the old Glenn is back, 100%.”