Elderly woman treated after breathing in smoke from kitchen blaze

A pensioner was given help by firefighters and paramedics after a kitchen fire in her house.

Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 7:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 7th June 2016, 8:18 pm
The Gables in Washington. Image copyright Google Maps.

Firefighters from Washington, Marley Park and Birtley were called to the mid-terrace house in The Gables, off Fatfield Road in Washington, after the fire was reported.

The woman was found in house and persuaded to leave the house and given treatment after breathing in smoke, but refused hospital treatment.

The blaze destroyed a kettle and also caused damage to the hob, with most of the room damaged by fire.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Other areas of the ground floor was also affected by the fumes.

The crew found the fire had died out when they arrived and two officers wearing breathing apparatus helped clear the house of smoke.

The incident happened just after 11am.