Durham Sunday League: Party time as Durham Buffaloes Head secure their first ever win

Durham Buffaloes Head won the battle at the bottom of Division Four to finally break their duck for the season.

Saturday, 10th December 2016, 7:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 14th December 2016, 12:32 pm
Washington (red) battle Northern League rivals Chester-le-Street at Chester Moor Park last weekend. Picture by Kevin Brady

Indeed, it was the team’s first ever victory.

Buffaloes piled on the pressure from the off at second-bottom Witton Gilbert WMC, and it was soon rewarded with a great solo goal by Paul Field, who finished smartly after a loing, mazy run.

Field’s second goal of the season soon followed to build a commanding lead.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Witton started piling players forward in the second half, in an attempt to claw a goal back, but they were caught on the break by a fine strike by man-of-the-match debutant Tristan Delf.

East Rainton moved up to second place with a 4-0 success at Bearpark.

In a really good game, Bearpark are wondering how they didn’t get anything from it.

Bearpark dominated possession without managing to score, but poor defending gifted Rainton two early goals and the went on to finish convincing winners.

Star man Ollie Hotchkiss, two-goal Callum Fletcher and Jonathon Grant all notched. Paul Green shone for Bearpark.

Sacriston The Shoes edged a 2-1 win at Gateshead Last Orders for their third victory of the season.

Callum Gritton starred for Durham Rangers as they fought hard for a goalless draw away to Quarrington Hill WMC.

Dubmire WMC hit six of the best to retain top spot in Division Three, with Ouston Juniors the victims.

Man of the match Jed Croft made the breakthrough after great wing play from Stephen Donkin.

Donkin doubled the lead and James Murray added the third before a hat-trick from substitute Michael Donkin completed the scoring at 6-2.

Ryan Bell and an own goal earned Ouston two consolations, with Jack Dickinson their marksmen.

Lumley edged home 3-2 at neighbours Lumley Snooker Club.

David Lucas, star man Sam Harris and Harry Simpson guided Lumley into second place in the table.

James Laidler and Michael Carroll both came off the bench to notch for the Snooker Club, whose star man was Ralph Watson.

Chester Garden Farm extended their 100% league record to three wins out of three to move up to third-bottom spot.

They handed out a ruthless 11-0 beating to visitors Hetton New Inn, with four-goal man of the match Ryan Johnson the hero.

Scott Howe added four of his own, with Adam Goodyear (2) and Macauley Smith also on target.

David Jane was the pick of New Inn’s team.

Pittington are up to fourth place after an impressive 4-1 success at third-top Sedgefield Social Club.

Framwellgate Moor WMC climbed to second spot after pipping leaders West Rainton 3-2 in a thrilling duel.

Man of the match David Crank, Lewis Coburn and Sam Plant gave Moor the edge.

Mark Wild and Chris Brown notched for Rainton, with Jamie Bowes star man,

Unbeaten Washington Cross Keys leapfrogged Hilda Park into third place, following a 5-2 victory.

Keeper Lee Henderson stood out for Hilda, whose marksmen were Jamie Gordon and Sam Henderson.

Phil Marriott and Craig Smith twice hauled Keys level before Ross Docherty, Anthony Morrell and Alan Wilson ensured the win.

Houghton Chilton Lodge stayed in third-bottom spot after going down 5-3 at Coxhoe Red Lion.

Star man Andrew Simpson (2), Robbie Hurton, Adam Strong and Gareth Armstrong led Lion home.

Ferryhill Dynamoes grabbed the derby bragging rights, moving within three points of fifth-top Ferryhill Celtic with a 2-0 win.

Vinny Gash and Andrew Agar came up trumps for the home side, with Stephen Ward outstanding. Anthony Phillips shone in vain for Celtic.

Durham County, who were awarded four penalties, moved into pole position in Division Two after a fine 5-2 triumph away to High Handenhold Bird Inn.

Man of the match Joe Kerry stole the show with a hat-trick for County, who made it six wins in eight league games.

Robson Brown and Shaun Wilson also notched. Marc Wood hit both replies, while David Brown was sent off for two bookable offences.

Langley Park consolidated their fourth place with a 3-0 victory over lowly Ferryhill Community Hub.

Langley grabbed the opening goal when debutant James Wright struck early on and they could have been three up inside 10 minutes. Hub, though, got to grips with the game and had the better of the rest of the half.

Further goals from Neil Waters and Steven Cummings sealed Ferryhill’s fate.

Good goalkeeping kept the score down to 3-0.

Waldridge Park climbed to fourth place in the Premier Division on the back of a 4-2 derby success at Ouston Cherry Tree.

Adam Bell fired a clinical hat-trick to inspire the visitors, with Darren Redfearn also netting and Chris Rooney the star man.

Waldridge led 2-0 before Ouston got back into the match.

Keeper Andrew Jefferson was outstanding for Tree, who had Andrew Clarkson, with a chip to the far post after good work from Ryan Drummond, and Michael Ross (penalty) on target. Cherry keeper Andy Jefferson saved a penalty, while Clarkson had a spot-kick kept out by Luke Hilliard.

Sedgefield St Edmund’s thumped Chilton WMC 4-1 to go second.

Michael Searby struck first for second-bottom Chilton, whose top performer was Neil Searby.

But Stephen Flockett, Glen Donaldson, Paul Wilkinson and a 25-yard screamer from Graham Kime turned it around.

Houghton Town produced a tremendous performance to knock Newton Aycliffe Locomotion out of the League Cup.

Kyle Davis capped a man-of-the-match performance with a fine goal as Town, beaten just once in the league this season, defeated their Premier rivals to move into the quarter-finals.

Sub Connor Forster, Brandon Anderson and Dan McGuire also got in on the act, while Grant Hickman struck for the beaten table-toppers.

Keeper Barry Poskett was outstanding for Locomotion.

Brandon Sports Club had to scrap hard to see off underdogs Chester Bar 18Seven in their fourth round tie.

Two-goal Adam Burnham, Michael Fort and sub Steven Parnaby did the damage, with Nick Ling and star man Paul Botcherby replying. Robbie Murray shone for Brandon.

Houghton Wild Boar All-Stars made good progress in the Stepy’s Coaches President’s Trophy.

The Second Division’s bottom club, who struck in the first minute, saw off Bowburn 3-1 in the third round, thanks to efforts from man of the match Karl Anderson, Liam McKitten and Nick Thompson.

Bowburn hit the bar three times and had two efforts cleared off the line before a last-minute consolation from Daniel Crisp, who half-volleyed home after Sean McGrail’s free-kick deflected into his path.

Craig Hill stood out for Bowburn.

Premier outfit Sherburn Village WMC romped to a 7-2 success at Burnside WMC to clinch their place in the final of the Ramside Hall Hotel Cup Winners’ Cup.

Craig Ellison and Shaun Dixon notched for Burnside, whose star performer was Max Stoker.

Two early goals from Marley and Ellis settled the visitors, with Young and Broadley making it 4-0 at half-time.

Burnside fought back, but Ellis’s penalty, plus late goals from subs Forster and Hinds completed an emphatic victory.

Pelton RAOB secured a semi-final spot in the same competition, following a 2-0 home victory in an all-Premier tie against Sacriston Cricket Club.

Rob Draper was the pick for Sacriston.