David Walsh murder trial: Nissan worker denies being involved in death of Sunderland dad

A Nissan worker has denied being involved in a brutal back lane attack that resulted in the death of a dad.

Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 2:05 pm
Updated Tuesday, 28th June 2016, 3:08 pm
David Walsh

David Walsh, 45, known as Boff, died from blood loss as a result of multiple injuries and stab wounds after a savage beating last November.

Raymond Brown, 37, of Canon Cockin Street, who was seen by a different witness to plunge a knife into Mr Walsh "26 to 27 times" has pleaded guilty to murder and violent disorder.

Charles Lamont, 40, of Villette Road, his son Dalton Barnett, 19, of Fuller Road and Patrick Duggan, 19, of Palmstead Place, all in Sunderland, deny murder and violent disorder and are being tried by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Duggan, who worked at the Washington car plant, yesterday told jurors he was in the back lane when Mr Walsh was killed but said he played no part in the attack and was unarmed.

He told the court he was off work on the day of the killing and had been Barnett's house "listening to music and having a drink" when trouble erupted outside.

Duggan said he saw fighting in the back lane, people running and shouting, but only saw one person carrying out the stabbing.

He told the court "Raymond" was carrying something in his hand and added: "I just saw the light bounce off it, a knife."

Duggan said he saw "Raymond" going towards "Boff" and added: "He stabbed him".

Duggan told jurors the stabbing was "more than once" and that "he didn't stop".

He added: "I don't know how I felt, sick."

Duggan's barrister Dafydd Enoch QC asked him "Did you at any time attack the deceased?" and "Did you at any time have a knife?".

Duggan answered "no" to both questions and told the court he did not have any weapon with him in the lane.

Mr Walsh had gone to the lane between Canon Cockin Street and Fuller Road, in Hendon, Sunderland, with his son Kyle Walsh after they heard his other son,

David, had been attacked last November 20.

The trial continues.