Would-be delivery driver banned from roads after being caught driving while three times the drink-drive limit

A motorist has missed out on a new job opportunity after being banned from the roads for driving at almost three times the limit on New Year’s Day.

Monday, 10th February 2020, 6:00 am
Updated Monday, 10th February 2020, 12:03 pm

Brian Bell, 31, of Ringwood Square, Red House, Sunderland, was training to be a delivery driver – but has instead lost his licence for 22 months.

South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court was told a breath test in Shields Road, Seaburn, showed 88mcgs of alcohol in 100mls of breath. The legal limit is 35mcgs.

Prosecutor Jeff Taylor said: “A witness details a vehicle, a Vauxhall Corsa, driving on the wrong side of the road and in an erratic manner in Grizedale Court with the front end caved in.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The start of Shields Road in Seaburn

“The driver gets out of the vehicle and seemed upset. He said that he was gutted and had kids and had a job. He puts his head on a pillar.

“The male at the scene identified himself and officers take the view that he is intoxicated. He failed a roadside test and was arrested and taken to a police station.

“The aggravating feature is that there appears to have been an accident and members of the public say the car was driven in some sort of erratic way.”

Chris Wilson, defending, said: “On the day in question he had had an argument with his girlfriend. He went to his mother’s house and then started to return.

“He hit the curb and made some damage and there was also some damage to the vehicle. He was sitting by the roadside, there was no attempt to leave the scene.

“There were no drug or alcohol issues. He has no previous convictions for driving a vehicle with alcohol.”

Bell, who pleaded guilty to drink driving, told the court he had been training to be a delivery driver which he now had to forego.

The court heard he had six previous convictions for being drunk and disorderly and a failing to stop after an accident conviction from February 2014.

He was also fined £120 and must pay £85 court costs and a £32 victim surcharge.