Two men arrested following rooftop stand-off as armed police called to Roker Avenue assault

Two men have been arrested by armed police following an assault in Roker Avenue – with one suspect climbing on a roof in an attempt to evade capture.

Friday, 9th April 2021, 8:01 am

A man is alleged to have been walking down the street when he became involved in a ‘verbal altercation’ with two other men, who were inside an address on Roker Avenue.

The offenders then approached the 23-year-old victim and assaulted him before fleeing the scene at around 6.30pm on Thursday, April 8.

North East Ambulance Service confirmed that the victim was taken to hospital with an injury to his hand which Northumbria Police say is ‘consistent with having been caused by a bladed article’.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Armed police were called to the incident in Roker Avenue.
Armed police were called to the incident in Roker Avenue.

Armed police were scrambled to the incident and, following a search, a 33-year-old man was arrested inside a different address in Roker Avenue.

A second suspect, also a 33-year-old man, had been inside the property but climbed on top of the building’s roof in an attempt to evade capture.

He was brought to safety and arrested. Both men remain in police custody on Friday morning (April 9).

One witness, who lives nearby, said he could see a man on the roof of a house in Roker Avenue, close to the junction of Brandling Street.

He told the Echo on Thursday evening: "There's an armed response from the police, I could see them outside near to the chemist.

Read More

Read More
The ten places where most crime has been reported across Washington and Houghton

"I can see one police car and an ambulance, but I know there's a lot more police vehicles down there.

"I saw them get out of their cars, put their balaclavas on and all their guns.

"They've got that part of Roker Avenue all sealed off."

Pictures show armed police in the street.

Northumbria Police spokesperson said: "Door to door enquiries were carried out and a 33-year-old man was arrested a short time later inside a different address on Roker Avenue.

"A second man, also aged 33, who was inside the property has then climbed on to the roof of the building in a bid to evade capture. He was brought to safety a short time after and also arrested in connection with the assault.

"Both men remain in police custody at this time."

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on SAFC and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.