Shocking CCTV shows how thug rammed into rival's car during night of violence in Sunderland
Shocking CCTV footage shows a violent thug ram his car into a rival during a night of terrifying violence.
The victim had just got out of his own car when he was targeted by a "convoy" of vehicles in a sickening attack.
A judge has said watching the incredible footage caused him to take "a sharp intake of breath".
David ‘Porky’ Clark, who was in the first car to drive at him, was at the centre of a series of violent offences committed across Southwick in Sunderland on the evening of April 5 last year.
Sunderland woman caught with knife in city centre
"Removing personal items will hurt a lot of people" - Mum's upset as family ordered to remove 'unauthorised' tributes from son's grave
Second chance for Cox Green coffee shop plans following £400,000 investment as planning chiefs agree to delay decision
Clark was behind the wheel of a Mercedes as he and a convoy of cars descended on Ridley Street and deliberately tried to run over a man who was in the road.
As the victim tried to get away in a silver hatchback, Clark and the driver of a Volvo rammed the car and smashed into another parked vehicle – to the shock of families living nearby.
Moments later, Clark – aided by accomplices Shaun Hewitt, Shaun McGregor and Leigh Coulson - jumped out of a number of cars on Beaumont Street and disarmed Luke Owen who was in possession of a machete.
Owen was then stabbed with the machete in the middle of the street, leaving him with serious leg injuries and cuts to his face.
Earlier on the same evening, Clark’s girlfriend Coulson threatened an occupant on Ridley Street, claiming he would be “burnt to a crisp” and that a car would be driven through his living room.
A vehicle was reversed into the front door of the address and set on fire later that night by unidentified assailants.
At Newcastle Crown Court Judge Christopher Prince said CCTV footage of the driving caused him to take "a sharp intake of breath" and that the confrontation led to a "great deal of aggression around the area" that night, with feelings "running high".
Detective Inspector Andy Richardson, of Northumbria Police, said: “The violence that we saw on the streets of Southwick that night was appalling and all five defendants should be ashamed of themselves.
“The series of incidents unfolded in a residential area where families watched on in shock – and they will no doubt have been horrified to see this level of offending just yards from their front door.
“Clark was at the centre of the disorder and is somebody who has consistently shown a total disregard for the law. I am pleased that he is now behind bars and the severity of his crimes reflected in his sentence.
“We will not tolerate violence in our communities and hope this outcome offers reassurance to our communities. We are committed to continue tackling serious and organised criminality under the banner of Operation Sentinel.”
Clark, 36, of Gordon Terrace, Sunderland, admitted dangerous driving, violent disorder, assault and two unrelated offences of common assault. He has been jailed for 44 months.
Coulson, 33, of Gordon Terrace, Sunderland, pleaded guilty to violent disorder and threats to commit criminal damage by fire. She has been sentenced to 12 months suspended for 12 months with rehabilitation requirements.
Hewitt, 29, of Matterdale, Peterlee, McGregor, 32, of Beechwood Crescent, Sunderland, and Owen, 34, of Beatty Avenue, Sunderland, all previously admitted violent disorder in relation to the fight on Beaumont Street.
A judge sentenced Hewitt to one year imprisonment, McGregor received a 15-month custodial term and Owen, who also admitted having an offensive weapon, received an 11-month sentence suspended for 12 months.
Any residents in the area who have concerns about criminal activity can speak to neighbourhood officers in the SARA team, based at the Salvation Army building in Austin House on Shakespeare Street.