New police plea to solve Sunderland murder on 25th anniversary of young mum's slaying

Police have marked the 25th anniversary of an unsolved murder by issuing a new plea for help in tracing the killer of a young mum.

Monday, 30th December 2019, 6:00 am
A police car parked next to a tent covering the murder scene in Washington at the end of 1994.

Amina Khatun was repeatedly stabbed in her own home in front of her three young children in Manor View East, Concord, Washington, on December 30, 1994.

The 24-year-old’s death is one of four historic Wearside murders still to be solved.

Nine arrests across Sunderland and Darlington were quickly made in connection with the Washington investigation although all those detained were soon released.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Murder victim Amina Khatun.

A 30-year-old man was eventually charged with murder in January 1995 and was remanded in custody by magistrates before the case was later discontinued.

Now, a quarter of a century since the killing, Northumbria Police have made a fresh appeal for anyone with information about the case to contact them.

A force spokesperson said today: "Unsolved murders are never closed and are all subject to periodic reviews.

“If any new information comes to light about Amina Khatun's death it will be fully investigated.

Manor View East, Concord, Wasington, where Amina Khatun was murdered in 1994.

“If you have information that could help detectives on the case then please call us.”

The alarm was raised around 11pm when a relative rang and heard one of the children crying.

Police were alerted and found Mrs Khatun’s body in the dining room.

More than 40 officers searched the property for clues and carried out house-to-house inquiries in the surrounding neighbourhood.

A dedicated hotline was also set up for members of the Bengali community to call.

While a potential motive was never disclosed, the oldest child told officers that a fight started after a girl entered the property.

Two other girls are said to have joined the first girl inside the house before they left after the attack.

Detectives were uncertain whether the girls were invited inside or had forced their way inside the terraced house.

Mrs Khatun’s three children, all aged three and under, were later reunited with their father, Nurul Ahmed, 31, who was at work at an Indian restaurant in Newcastle when his wife was slain.

Anyone with any information about the case is urged to contact Northumbria Police on 101 or Crimestoppers, where information can be left anonymously, on 0800 555 111.