Murder investigation launched following death of pensioner after son was arrested over Christmas Eve assault

A pensioner has died in hospital four weeks after he was assaulted in his own home – and his son is due to appear in court as police launch a murder investigation.

Wednesday, 20th January 2021, 1:33 pm

Harry Conlon, 77, died of his injuries after he was taken to hospital following an assault on Christmas Eve.

Shortly before 3pm on December 24 emergency services were called to an address on Deansfield Close, Sunderland, following a report of a disturbance.

Officers attended and found Harry with injuries to his head consistent with having been assaulted.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Deansfield Close in Sunderland where Harry Conlon, 77, was assaulted on Christmas Eve. He died of his injuries on Monday January 18

He was taken to hospital but sadly died from his injuries on Monday evening (January 18), Northumbria Police has confirmed.

An investigation was launched immediately after the incident with detectives wanting to determine the circumstances surrounding how Harry came to suffer the injuries to his head.

The victim’s son, Paul Conlon, of no fixed abode, was arrested at the scene and was later charged with attempted murder.

He is now due to appear at Newcastle Crown Court on Monday, January 25.

Deansfield Close

Following Harry’s death on Monday night, a murder investigation has since been launched.

Read More

Read More
Sunderland MP urges Sunderland Echo readers to sign A Shot in the Arm coronaviru...

Northumbria Police has confirmed officers are not currently looking for any other suspects in connection with the incident.

Detective Chief Inspector Jane Fairlamb, the senior investigating officer in the case, said: “This is a tragic case which has sadly resulted in Harry’s death, and our thoughts go out to his family at this terrible time.

“Specialist family liaison officers will continue to offer them any support they need as they try to come to terms with their devastating loss.

“They have asked that their privacy is respected at this time and I would also ask the public to avoid any speculation that could prejudice the live court proceedings.

“A man is due to appear in court on Monday in connection with Harry’s death, and various enquiries are still ongoing as part of our investigation.”

Anyone with information who has yet to come forward is asked to contact police via the ‘Tell Us Something’ page of the force’s website or by calling 101 and quoting log 531 241220.

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on SAFC and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.