Man jailed after breaching Sunderland's first court order of its kind aimed at tackling his alcohol-fuelled antics
A man has been jailed for 12 weeks for breaching a landmark court order to stay away from his parents’ Sunderland home.
South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court heard 32-year-old Philip Anderson’s dad contacted police after he turned up drunk in the garden of the couple's Pilgrim Close property on Sunday, January 12.
Anderson’s actions were in defiance of a strict court order, imposed at Newcastle Crown Court in April last year, with conditions which included staying away from three Sunderland streets.
The court order contained a positive behavioural requirement which compelled Anderson to actively tackle his alcohol addiction – something that had never been given in the city before.
It also forced him to complete a comprehensive programme in a bid to halt his offending, while he was also banned from entering areas of Wearside and was subjected to a strict night-time curfew.
They include Pilgrim Close, which is near Sunderland Football Club’s Stadium of Light ground, and Cramlington Square, Pennywell.
The court was told Anderson had only been released four days earlier, Wednesday, January 8, from a 12-week jail term, imposed on charges of possession of a bladed article, harassment and theft.
Prosecutor Glenda Beck said: “On the January 12, the defendant’s father told police that their son was in the garden. This was a direct breach. He was found in the garden and was drunk.
“He was interviewed at Southwick police station but made no comment to questions put to him.”
Mark Richardson, defending, said: “The very fact that such an order exists shows that there is a great deal of background to this.
“He’s a young man who is alcohol dependent. He was released from his last sentence on January 8.
“He went to his father’s home to find out if he could let him stay or find somewhere for him. He was in the garden.
“He clearly doesn’t have the financial or cognitive tools to survive on his own.
“The lesson he has to learn here is that family members are not who can help him, it’s going to be Probation.”
Dorothy Gibson, chair of the bench, told Anderson: “We do feel that this has crossed the custody threshold.
“It happened four days after you were released for a similar offence. You have no regard for court orders.”
Anderson must also pay a £122 victim surcharge.
PC Peter Baker, of Northumbria Police, said: “Philip Anderson was given this landmark court order in April because he has been a drain on our resources for many years.
“Quite often, his widespread offending has been intrinsically linked with his alcohol abuse and the CBO offered an opportunity for him to clean up his act and change his life for the better.
“His criminality has often seen him show unacceptable and intimidating levels of violence towards others and his conduct became a significant concern for officers and his family.
“Unfortunately, over the weekend, Anderson ignored the strict conditions of his order – so as a result, within 24 hours of committing the offence, he found himself back in the dock and was sent to prison.
“Orders of this kind are not optional – they are a way to restrict a persistent offender’s behaviour and protect the communities that have been affected by his actions.
“Anderson now begins a spell behind bars, after which he will be subjected to the same strict conditions until 2022. The courts will then have greater powers to deal with him should he reoffend.”
Anderson, of Rutherglen Road, Redhouse, received the three-year order after appearing before Newcastle Crown Court on April 9 last year.
As well as the area ban, the order also prevents him from using threatening, intimidating, insulting or abusive behaviour in any public place, being drunk or disorderly, and causing nuisance, disruption or annoyance to neighbouring residents on Rutherglen Road.