Gunman facing years behind bars for attempted murder over street shooting in Washington
A gunman facing years behind bars for attempted murder after a street shooting will be sentenced next month.
John Dees blasted Darren March in the chest with a shotgun and caused life threatening injuries last October.
The 28-year-old victim was taken to hospital in a critical but stable condition after the attack, which happened in Washington.
Dees, 33, had been due to be sentenced at Newcastle Crown Court today.
But the court heard further medical evidence will be sought before the case can be concluded.
Dees, of no fixed address, who pleaded guilty to attempted murder and possessing a firearm, namely a shotgun, with intent to endanger life at an earlier hearing will now learn his fate next month.
He also admitted a charge of damaging property in relation to a Northumbria Police cell.
Judge Paul Sloan QC said Dees will be back in court, via video link, to be sentenced on May 15.
The judge told him: "I am going to adjourn your case until May 15 and you will be produced over the live link, as you have been today.
"You must attend the live link room. If you refuse to do so the sentence hearing could proceed in your absence.
"You understand you will receive a significant custodial term in any event."
The firearm believed to have been used in this attack has been recovered by police.
Chief Inspector Sam Rennison, of Northumbria Police, said shortly after the shooting: "Any incident of this type is likely to shock the local community, but I would like to thank the community of Washington for the way they have come together and supported officers at every step of this investigation.
"Firearms incidents are very rare in this area and I would like to reiterate we believe this was an isolated incident with all parties involved thought to be known to each other."