Danger driver who sped at 70mph through Sunderland streets was caught cowering in garden by police

A danger driver who sped at 70mph through residential streets told police pursuers when caught cowering in a garden: “I give up, I just panicked”.
The danger driver was chased down by Northumbria PoliceThe danger driver was chased down by Northumbria Police
The danger driver was chased down by Northumbria Police

Uninsured and unlicensed Kyal Mattocks, 26, tore around Hendon, Sunderland, in his Ford Focus, at one point powering over a junction without slowing.

While being tailed, Mattocks, of Pennycross Road, Pennywell, also collided with road works barriers but failed to stop, a court heard.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

And he then drove over fields in a bid to get away before changing direction and coming to a stop after smashing into a metal barrier.

But he was still not done – he scaled an 8ft-high fence in his desperation to evade capture at around 11pm on Sunday, October 25.

Prosecutor Clare Irving said the pursuit only ended when residents alerted police to his whereabouts in the garden.

Mattocks pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop, driving without a licence and driving without insurance.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Ms Irving told South Tyneside Magistrates’ Court: “He came to police attention due to travelling at speed.

“He went over a junction. Officers tried to catch him. The defendant then turned into Fuller Road. The officer could see him.

“He came to a stop in Villette Road, but then drove into Ernest Street and back into Villete Road.

“The officer then saw him again in Villette Road. The police sirens were illuminated.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“The defendant was travelling in excess of 60pmh and then up to 70mph, and into Suffolk Street and made no attempt to slow.”

Ms Irving added: “He then went into Primary Gardens where he collided with roadworks barriers, and then into Teasdale Street and into the rear of Ridley Terrace.

“He then went off road and across fields, and then changed direction.

“He then collided with an iron barrier, at which point he jumped from the vehicle and jumped over an 8ft fence.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Neighbours point him out and he is found lying against a wall. He told police, ‘I give up. I just panicked’.”

Alaister Naismith, defending, said only: “It’s crown court all day.”

Mattocks will be sentenced at Newcastle Crown on Tuesday, August 24.

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today. Enjoy unlimited access to local news, the latest on SAFC and new puzzles every day. With a digital subscription, you can see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Click here to subscribe.