Connor Brown murder: Watch moment killer Leighton Barrass is apprehended by bouncers after stabbing Sunderland teenager

CCTV footage from Sunderland city centre shows killer Leighton Barrass being apprehended by bouncers moments after he fatally stabbed beloved teenager Connor Brown.

Tuesday, 10th December 2019, 1:53 pm
Updated Wednesday, 11th December 2019, 3:37 pm

Connor Brown, who was just 18-years-old, was stabbed five times in the early hours of Sunday, February 24, by Leighton Barrass, of Hartside Square.

The 20-year-old killer had bought a flick knife, with the words ‘joker’ written on the side, the day before and is captured on CCTV throughout the day showing others the knife and flicking out the blade as he become more intoxicated.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Leighton Barrass is escorted into a police van in Sunderland city centre. Inset: Leighton Barrass.

As Barrass is found guilty of murder, CCTV footage from the city centre has been released showing him fleeing from the scene of the fatal attack.

Barrass, who wears a distinctive blue puffer jacket, flees from the scene but falls to the ground in Albion Place outside Chilinos and is kicked in the head by a doorman, who was told Barrass was carrying a knife.

The court heard members of the public on a night out initially defended Barrass from the bouncers – including Ally Gordon who follows officers and Barrass to the police van.

Officers from Northumbria Police arrived and he is seen being escorted into the back of a police van.

Connor Brown was killed in the early hours of February 24.

Ally Gordon can be seen in the footage speaking to Barrass as he is taken away and holding his white cap.

Blood can be seen on Barrass’s face, where he had been punched earlier on in the evening.

He told bouncers he had been stabbed but when they checked they couldn’t find any wounds.

Leighton Barrass.

Leighton Barrass and Ally Gordon, 20, of Polmuir Road, both denied killing the Farringdon lad, who worked as a receptionist for Happy House GP Surgery in Sunderland.

A three-week trial, held at Newcastle Crown Court, found Barrass guilty of murder and Gordon guilty of manslaughter and possessing a bladed weapon.

Barrass had previously pleaded guilty to possessing a bladed weapon.

They will both be sentenced tomorrow.

Leighton Barrass is escorted into the back of a police van by officers.

What happened on the night Connor was killed?

Jurors heard Barrass and Gordon entered the alleyway near Park Lane and had tried to sell drugs to Dominic Moan, who had declined, before trying again to sell drugs with Stephen Nunn – who was in the back lane with friend Connor Brown.

When Mr Nunn declined, he told jurors while giving evidence that Barrass asked him to swap £10 for two £5 notes – when Mr Nunn did, Barrass only gave £5 back.

The altercation became heated and Mr Nunn said he felt threatened by Barrass and punched him in the face before Barrass, and Gordon, fled up the road.

In what the prosecution called ‘an act of calculated revenge’, Barrass returned, with Gordon, to the back lane – this time brandishing a flick knife and threatening to ‘stab any one of you’.

Jurors heard Connor Brown ‘bravely’ stepped forward in an attempt to stop Barrass from carrying out his threats.

Ally Gordon has been found guilty of manslaughter

In the seconds that followed, Connor was stabbed five times – one of which entered his heart and proved fatal.

Ally Gordon could be seen on CCTV kicking at Connor who had fallen to the ground in the attack.

Ally Gordon, left wearing black cap, speaks to Barrass and officers as he is arrested.
The scene of where Barrass was apprehended by bouncers.