Cabbie accused of raping woman told jury 'I would never do that'

A cabbie accused of raping a woman told jurors it was the alleged victim who initiated sexual contact.

Wednesday, 2nd June 2021, 6:03 pm
The case is being heard at Newcastle Crown Court

Prosecutors claim Malcolm Hancock raped the woman, who was "seven out of ten" drunk, when she got into the car alone.

Jurors have heard the alleged victim, who cannot be named, believes she bit Hancock’s private parts "although not hard" before she got out of the car.

The 55-year-old cabbie, of Low House Farm Cottage, East Boldon, claims it was the alleged victim who was "sexually aggressive towards him" and denies rape.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He is being tried by a jury at Newcastle Crown Court.

Jurors have heard Hancock's private parts was examined and photographed during police questioning and he did not have bite marks.

He told detectives during interview: "I didn't rape anyone, I would never do that."

The married dad told jurors from the witness box he had been a cabbie for almost 20 years when he picked the woman up.

He said during the journey the complainant "wasn't happy because her mate had copped off again and she couldn't get anybody".

Hancock said the woman had been drinking "but I wouldn't say she was drunk" and was not slurring her words.

He added: "She was asking me if I wanted my leg over".

Hancock said the woman started groping him after she paid her fare and he was looking in the side door pocket of his cab for her change, told him she was "randy" and started touching herself, on top of her clothing.

Hancock said the woman reached into his jogging trousers and exposed his private parts before she performed a sex act on him.

But he added: "As soon as it started I stopped her.

"I stopped her because as soon as it started the thought of my wife hit me, straight in the head."

Hancock said he was "disgusted" with himself that he allowed anything to happen, even though it was so brief.

He added: "Before she got out of the car she said 'can I have my money back' and I said 'no, you can't have your money back, there's no reason to give you your money back' then she got out of the car.

Hancock told jurors he "definitely did not" force the woman to perform the sex act.

Prosecutors claim Hancock had asked if he could come into the woman's home when they pulled up outside but she refused and he then raped her.

Paul Abrahams, prosecutor, told the court: "Confused by what was going on, it took a moment for her to respond.

"She believed she bit his [private parts], although not hard."

In a recorded interview with a police officer, the woman said Hancock had grabbed her hand and put it on his private parts, over his clothing, before he exposed himself and forced her head down.

She said: "I don't even think I bit hard.

"I was thinking 'should I bite it', I went to bite it.

"If I did bite it I didn't bite hard."

The woman accepted her memory of what happened was hazy and added: "I just know what happened shouldn't have happened."

Hancock was traced and questioned within hours of the attack.

The trial continues.

You can subscribe to this website and enjoy unlimited access to local news, information and puzzles online. With a digital subscription, you can read more than five articles, see fewer ads, enjoy faster load times, and get access to exclusive newsletters and content. Simply click ‘Subscribe’ in the menu.