Brothers jailed after trouble flared at New Year's Eve party in Sunderland

Two brothers who caused fear to a neighbouring family when trouble flared at a New Year's Eve party have been jailed.

By Karon Kelly
Tuesday, 26th July 2022, 10:26 am
Updated Tuesday, 26th July 2022, 10:26 am

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Scott Brown, 34, launched a brutal attack on his male victim, who had gone outside to set off fireworks with his nephew.

Newcastle Crown Court heard the violence was watched on and encouraged by his sibling Craig Brown, 32, and the dispute continued into the night.

Then, 19 months later, the pair attacked more members of the victim's family, this time joined by their father Andrew Brown.

Craig and Scott Brown.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

Prosecutor Barry Robson said the first incident took place on December 31, 2018, and "extended through the night".

Mr Robson told the court: "There were two parties that evening in neighbouring houses and as the evening drew on there was growing animosity between the two families of these parties.

"The incident took place on Cedar Terrace in Sunderland."

Mr Robson said a man visiting family at the house next door to the Brown's party had gone outside with his nephew to set off fireworks.

Andrew Brown.

Minutes later, Scott Brown appeared and repeatedly kicked the man in the head then continued to cause trouble until members of his family had to be moved for their safety.

Mr Robson said: "Police arrived on the scene and there was a large amount of disorder.

"As a result of the disturbance some of the older members of the family and children were moved to another address where they would be safer.

"After police left there was further trouble into the night. At about 2:45am there was a loud bang outside of the property.

"A group of people were outside of the address which included Scott Brown and the police were contacted."

Mr Robson said that Scott Brown smashed a window of the property with a hose pipe he had picked up in the garden.

The court heard that Craig Brown also threw himself towards the glass of the front porch which shattered and injured a woman inside, which left her needingmultiple stitches to her face.

Trouble flared again in September 2020 when one of the victims was having a cigarette outside the neighbouring house in the evening.

Mr Robson said the man could hear loud banging from the street and when he went to investigate, he discovered the windows of his Ford Escort had been smashed by Scott Brown, causing £1,000 damage.

Another member of the family was targeted around two hours later when she had the windows of her Mini broken, close to where Craig Brown was seen carrying a hammer.

The group, which included dad Andrew Brown, 57, who had a metal bar, then approached another victim before beating him to the ground.

They were later arrested and Scott Brown, of Collingwood Court, Sulgrave, Washington, pleaded guilty to section 47 assault, affray, and criminal damage.

Craig Brown, of Avenue Vivien, Fence Houses, pleaded guilty to affray, possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage.

Andrew Brown, also of Avenue Vivien, admitted affray, possession of an offensive weapon and criminal damage relating to the September 2020 incidents.

Liam O'Brien, mitigating for Scott Brown, told the court that his client still works full-time and supports his children, but had struggled to fulfil his commitments during the court proceedings.

Helen Towers said that Craig Brown had been out of trouble since 2011 prior to the New Year's Eve offences and suggested the court could impose a suspended sentence order.

Penny Hall, for Andrew Brown, said that the father was remorseful and is clearly appreciative to the effects of his offending on the victims.

Judge Stephen Earl sentenced both Scott and Craig Brown to two years and seven months each behind bars.

Andrew Brown was handed a 19 month sentence suspended for two years alongside 150 hours of unpaid work and rehabilitation days.