Candle put in drawer sparks fire in kitchen

Heat from a candle caused a blaze after it was put into a kitchen drawer.

Tuesday, 28th November 2017, 6:08 am
Updated Tuesday, 28th November 2017, 6:13 am
May Street in Deptford. Image copyright Google Maps.

Firefighters from Sunderland Central and Marley Park fire stations were called to May Street, off Trimdon Street in Deptford, after a fire inside the two-storey cottage was reported just after 8pm yesterday.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The kitchen had filled with smoke from the drawer.

The firefighters put out the blaze and opened the windows to let out the fumes, with a thermal imaging camera used to ensure the fire was out.

Utensils and the drawer were left damaged by the incidents.