Burglar behind bars after being caught by his own glove

A burglar is behind bars after leaving his glove at a house where he wrestled with the owner to get away.

Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 1:17 pm
Updated Tuesday, 19th April 2016, 3:39 pm
Jason Taylor

Jason Taylor crept into the family's home while they were socialising with relatives and packed up their possessions, including CDs, house and car keys in a blanket.

But Newcastle Crown Court heard the 27-year-old was caught by the owner as he made his way out and put up a struggle to get away.

Newcastle Crown Court

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He was collared when police called to the scene found a glove near the door and forensic testing matched it to his DNA profile.

Taylor, of Hume Street, Sunderland, admitted burglary and was jailed for 14 months.

Mr Recorder William Lowe QC told him: "It is every householder's worst fear, that someone will come into their home where his family is present.

"I can well understand he and his family were deeply upset by this and felt less secure in their own home.

Newcastle Crown Court

"This was an occupied dwelling house and there was a struggle between you and the householder, who acted very courageously in the defence of his home and his family."

Prosecutor Emma Dowling told the court he householder had just got back to his Sunderland home from his shift as a taxi driver and was socialising with members of his family on January 23.

Taylor was in the hallway of the house, ready to leave with the family's belongings, when they realised he was inside.

The court heard Taylor was challenged by the cabbie and begged to be let go.

Miss Dowling said: "There was a struggle as he tried to detain the defendant and the defendant tried to leave.

"The struggle constituted his efforts to leave, it is not said by the family he offered additional violence over and above that but there was a tussle.

"He managed to break free and ran off."

The court heard when police came to investigate, the glove was found near the back door.

Miss Dowling added: "That glove did not belong to the family.

"It was forensically examined and a DNA profile matching this defendant was found.

"That is how he was identified."

The court heard Taylor confessed to detectives he had been high on diazepam on the night of the raid and remembered very little about it.

Miss Dowling said the family were left "upset, shocked and frightened" by what happened.

Christopher Morrison, said Taylor has a criminal record but most of his offending was as a much younger man.

Mr Morrison said the raid was unprofessional and unplanned and added: "It was so fumbled he left a glove with his DNA on."