Health Secretary Matt Hancock says he is 'very sorry' for breaching Covid restrictions
The Health Secretary Matt Hancock has released a statement saying he was “very sorry” after images were published appearing to show him in an embrace with his aide.
CCTV images published on Friday, June 25 appear to show Matt Hancock in an an embrace with his aide, Gina Coladangelo, on May 6.
At the time, Government Covid guidance said that two people from different households should not hug each other.
Mr Hancock has made it clear that he intends to resist calls for his resignation following reports he was having an extramarital affair with Gina Coladangelo, who he appointed last year.
In a brief statement, the Health Secretary has apologised for breaching social distancing rules, requested privacy for his family and that he remains focused on getting the UK out of the Covid-19 pandemic.
“I have let people down and am very sorry.
“I remain focused on working to get the country out of this pandemic, and would be grateful for privacy for my family on this personal matter.”
Labour have said that his position had become “hopelessly untenable” and called on Prime Minister Boris Johnson to sack him following the emerging of the images.
The chair of the Labour Party, Anneliese Dodds, commented: “The charge sheet against Matt Hancock includes wasting taxpayers’ money, leaving care homes exposed and now being accused of breaking his own Covid rules.
“His position is hopelessly untenable. Boris Johnson should sack him.”