New date set for court hearing for Sunderland takeaway boss facing allegations over coronavirus regulation breaches
A court hearing for a takeaway boss who faces allegations he allowed a Sunderland city centre business to trade in breach of coronavirus rules will now be heard on a new date.
The 41-year-old, of Lumley Tower, on High Street East in the East End, is accused of two offences of serving food and allowing customers on the premises of Monroe’s, in Stockton Road, in contravention of the coronavirus rules which were in operation at the time.
The incidents are said to have happened on Saturday, September 26, when a customer was served at 10.07pm when they were not sat in a vehicle, and Monday, October 20, last year, when customers were on the business premises after 10pm.
Both offences are alleged to be in breach of regulations 7 and 8(1) and (4) of the Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (No.2) (England) Regulations 2020.
Tony Southwick, who appeared for Sunderland City Council, said asked for the hearing date to be reissued by the bench, with the court adjourning the case until the morning of Wednesday, June 16.
The North East was put under additional restrictions on Thursday, September 17, by Health Secretary Matt Hancock following a request from the LA7 authorities – including Sunderland’s council – as case figures rose.
They included regulations stating hospitality for food and drink would be restricted to table service and that venues, including pubs, bars and clubs, must close from 10pm to 5pm.
The restriction on opening hours also applied to hot food takeaways, which were told they could only offer home deliveries between 10pm and 5am.