End of lockdown's delay leads organisers of music festival Brass to cancel events for 2021

The organisers of a music festival due to take place in the North East next month have today confirmed it will not go ahead as lockdown rules continue.

Monday, 28th June 2021, 2:40 pm

Durham BRASS was due to take place across County Durham from Wednesday, July 14, to Sunday, July 18, with the team behind the live performances confirming on Thursday, June 17, that they still planned to press on with the celebrations.

However, due to uncertainty regarding national announcements on Covid restrictions and the publication of safety guidance on large scale events, Durham County Council has now postponef the event until 2022.

It says the festival had been planned with Covid-safety measures in mind, with a largely outdoor programme and social distancing arrangements.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A host of bands were lined up to play the BRASS Festival across County Durham.

Read More

Read More
Sunderland pubs showing Euro 2020 live on TV - as England take on Germany

Although it had been hoped national restrictions would have been eased on Monday, June 21, the council’s plans complied with rules, meaning it had felt the festival could still go ahead despite the Government’s decision to delay Stage 4 of its roadmap out of lockdown.

The council says it has been monitoring sector guidance and local conditions closely and, with the current lack of clarity around safety measures at large-scale events, it is no longer felt that it would be possible to host the festival in a safe and enjoyable way.

It had been due to feature shows by Richard Hawley and the NASUWT Riverside Band, Sunderland group Field Music, The Trevor Horn Band, led by the Hetton-born music producer, CBeebies Band Jam star YolanDa

Brown among others.

Ticketholders will be contacted during the next week.

Councillor Elizabeth Scott, cabinet member for economy and partnerships, said: “Keeping people safe has to be our main priority during these challenging times.

"It is clearly very disappointing that we have had to postpone BRASS but with the ever-changing and unclear situation regarding the virus, national restrictions and additional safety measures at large-scale events, sadly we feel that this is the safest and most sensible decision for all involved.”

Field Music, who were due to play at Redhills, have shared the message: “Heavy hearts at Field Music HQ right now.

"We've been preparing for this show since June last year and we can't wait for you to hear these songs but given the public health situation in Durham and around the UK this is totally understandable.

"Sorry all.”

Support your Echo and become a subscriber today.

Enjoy unlimited access to all of our news and sport, see fewer ads, experience faster load times, test your brain with daily puzzles and get access to exclusive newsletters and content.

The Sunderland Echo has been on Wearside since 1873, and your support means we can continue telling your stories for generations to come.