Vulcans get to grips with Seaham in dominant second half

Have your say

SEAHAM suffered a poor second half to go down 25-10 at Winlaton Vulcans in Durham and Northumberland Division Three on Saturday.

The visitors had taken the lead at the end of a tight opening quarter.

Kurt Miller threw to the front of a lineout and Ben Bell took a flat ball to set up a rolling maul.

Sweeping in from the back, number eight Ryan Pink took possession and was shunted over for his 18th try of the season. Grant Westwick slipped and missed his conversion attempt to keep the lead at 5-0.

Graham Aldus looked to be back to his barnstorming best and blew some gaping holes in the Vulcans’ defence with his strong bursts.

One run on the half-hour sucked in several tacklers and a ruck was formed. Although one of the Vulcans was spotted handling on the floor, the ensuing penalty was missed by Glen Hardie.

Seaham were soon back on the offensive when John Dixon, out of position at scrum-half, fed Jack McCallum and the ball went through the hands of Joey Jones and Pink before being taken into a ruck.

Due to a lack of commitment to the breakdown, Seaham were turned over and another scoring opportunity went begging.

Winlaton took advantage a minute before half-time and created an overlap down the right wing to run a try in the corner and tie the scores.

Gary Lynn stopped a Winlaton defender dead in his tracks but he recovered well enough to set up a ruck, from which the hosts spun right and sent their winger over in the corner to take the lead for the first time on 44 minutes. The conversion attempt rebounded off the post.

Seaham full-back Hardie’s surging runs caused the Winlaton defence no end of headaches. Grant Westwick supported one of Hardie’s runs, kicked ahead and reclaimed the ball before passing to Pink. The number eight shipped a quick pass to Graeme Steel, who outstripped the defence to touch down and tie the scores at 10-10.

Although he had enjoyed a strong game in the tight as well as in broken play, player-coach Jon Dye conceded a ruck penalty just after the hour. The resulting kick rebounded off the post but bounced sweetly for the Vulcans and they ran it over in the left corner for a third try to take a 15-10 lead.

Winlaton scored again within three minutes to move two scores ahead. Play was shipped wide through the backline and Westwick missed a tackle to concede a bonus point try for the hosts. This time, the conversion was added. so the Vulcans led 22-10.

Seaham never gave up but they conceded a late penalty which was converted to take the Vulcans more than two scores clear.