Second-half surge seals Seaham comeback win

Have your say

SEAHAM produced a second half fight-back to seal a 32-24 win away to Chester-le-Street.

The hosts led 24-7 at the interval, but were then unable to withstand a Seaham onslaught.

Seaham were 12-0 down within five minutes of the start but hit back when Brad Green took a quick tap and fed Ryan Pink, who muscled his way over for his fourth try of the season. Glen Hardie added the conversion.

Just as Seaham looked to be gaining the ascendancy, a stray pass in midfield was intercepted by Chester’s flanker and he outstripped the defence before touching down under the posts.

The added conversion took them 19-7 ahead.

Matters could have been made a little worse on 35 minutes when one of the Seaham forwards was penalised for not rolling away from a tackle. Luckily, the attempt at goal was hit narrowly wide.

The visitors’ respite didn’t last long as a ball was kicked through their packed defence and over their line. Rather than ground the ball, their defence dithered and were caught napping as one of the Chester players touched down and earned a try bonus point with their fourth score. The conversion put them 17 points clear at the break.

Having been forced to work late, Graham Aldus and Gary Lynn arrived just in time for the second half – but their impact was instant.

Aldus made some devastating breaks through the midfield. A fine 48th minute run took him into the 22 before he was tackled and popped the ball to John Dixon.

The big flanker then carried the ball forward before linking with Pink and forming a ruck. After several pick and drives, second row Chris Bland took possession and crashed over to narrow the deficit to 24-12.

Seaham now had their tails up and were attacking from all angles. Pink demonstrated wonderful ball control at the back of the scrum and touched down for a pushover try to bring his side within a bonus point of their hosts at 24-17.

The visitors maintained their stranglehold on the game and almost secured a try bonus point on the hour when another Jack McCallum and Aldus moved down the left flank. Grant Westwick found himself clear with the line in sight but spilled a poor pass from Pink.

Within a minute, all that was forgotten as another flowing movement involving Jon Dye, Jack McCallum and John Dixon was finished off by Joey Jones in the right corner. Hardie missed his kick, but Seaham were now within two points at 24-22.

They then took the lead when a run and offload from Dixon sent Grant Westwick over in the left corner with 12 minutes remaining.

A steal against the head then saw the ball spun out to Jack McCallum and the speedy fly-half sprinted through a gap and crossed for a try with four minutes remaining, ansd that sealed a remarkable comeback win.