Seaham storm to mighty win

Share this article
Have your say

SEAHAM stormed to a 51-3 thrashing of Hartlepool BBOB on Saturday.

The visitors actually started well and pressed Seaham back but some stout defending held them at bay.

Seaham then broke away to open the scoring when a fine weighted pass from fly-half Jack McCallum found John Dixon. The big centre then danced his way through a crowded midfield and finished off a 40-metre run by touching down to the left of the posts. Brad Green added the conversion to put Seaham 7-0 ahead.

Brigade fought back and Seaham’s prospects were hit on 19 minutes when centre Graham Aldus was yellow-carded for a shoulder charge. Brigade’s fly-half kicked the resulting penalty to make it 7-3.

Even though they were a man down, Seaham soon started to gain the upper hand and they added to their score when a scything run by Jon Dye drew in three defenders.

The centre then offloaded to Glen Hardie and the ball went through the hands of Brad Green and Jack McCallum before being fed to John Dixon, who crossed in the left corner for his second try of the day. Brad Green nailed his second conversion to make it 14-3.

Green stretched Seaham’s lead even further on 34 minutes with a penalty, before young winger Joey Jones got himself on the scoreboard on 37 minutes, crossing in the right corner to make it 22-3.

Grizzled veteran Steve Meir went agonisingly close to registering a fourth try when he twisted out of a rolling maul and crossed the line, but the referee judged that the ball had been held up.

Seaham did secure a valuable bonus point on the stroke of half-time when they were awarded a scrum near the visitors’ line. Number 8 Ben Bell picked from the base and fed Brad Green, who raced in and touched down in the right corner.

In the second half, Ben Bell took a fine catch in the Brigade 22 and set up a rolling maul. The Seaham pack then shunted forward and Paul Scott broke away and fell over the line for his fourth try of the season. Green missed the conversion but the hosts were good value for their 32-3 lead.

Seaham then suffered their second yellow card when James Ramshaw dropped his shoulder and felled his man. Despite being a man down once again, Seaham stayed on top and their efforts were rewarded after 57 minutes when Graeme Steel capped a fine performance with a try following some crisp handling by the lively backline. Green’s third conversion of the day stretched the lead to 39-3.

Joey Jones scored his second try of the day on 74 minutes when he finished off a neatly worked overlap, and Green converted to make the score 46-3. Jones notched another try three minutes later to register the first hat-trick of his career. Green missed the conversion but his final tally for the game still reached 16 points.