Seaham storm into Plate final

Have your say

SEAHAM powered to a 43-10 win against Sedgefield to seal a fourth appearance in the final of the Durham County Junior Plate.

Early pressure paid off when Brad Green slotted over a 25-metre penatly to make it 3-0.

However, if the visitors had any early thoughts that they were about to run away with the game, their feet were put firmly back on the ground shortly afterwards. The visitors stormed out from the restart and levelled matters with a penalty after Seaham had strayed offside in front of their posts.

The foundations for the first try of the afternoon were laid after Bell took a lineout catch and set up a rolling maul and Steve Meir crossed the line for a try to double his tally for the season. Green’s conversion took the lead to 10-3.

Green was next on the scoresheet with a virtuoso try under the posts. His added conversion was the icing on the cake as Seaham moved more than two scores clear at 17-3.

The restart was taken by Barry Siddle and second row partner John Dixon secured the ball before passing out to Green. He unleashed Jack McCallum and the fly-half drew in the Sedgefield defence before passing to Joey Jones, who beat the defence to touch down. Green then added his third conversion of the day to make it 24-3 at the break.

Dye took a knock to the head minutes into the half and Sedgefield took advantage to charge down the field and score a converted try to reduce the arrears to 24-10.

Seaham made a tactical substitution on 50 minutes with Andy Hogwood and Chris Bland replacing Siddle and Dixon in the second row. Shortly afterwards, Seaham registered their fourth try of the day.

Glen Hardie, now at fly-half with McCallum moved to the wing, finished off a fine forwards move and raced past four defenders before touching down, with the conversion by Green taking Seaham past the 30-mark.

The hosts were reduced to 14 men with the game entering the final quarter as a result of constant infringements around the breakdown area.

Seaham soaked up the Sedgefield pressure for the ensuing ten minutes and consolidated their lead in the final moments. Number eight and skipper Ben Bell crossed the line for the second week in succession and Green’s conversion took the score to 38-10.

Gary Lynn touched down for his sixth try of the season to cap a fine victory, but had worse news later. He visited hospital and was diagnosed with a broken hand that looks likely to rule him out for season.

Seaham will play Newton Aycliffe in the final on a date and venue still to be confirmed.

Although they managed to defeat Aycliffe a week ago and beat them in the race to clinch promotion to Division Two in the process, Seaham will still ensure that they do not underestimate their opponents, who are the current holders of the trophy and will be keen to avenge two league reversals from this season.