Seaham on the surge

Have your say

SEAHAM shrugged off two sin-bins to record yet another win as their charge at the top of Durham Northumberland Division Three continued.

They travelled to Seghill’s Welfare Park to record an excellent 18-3 victory that keeps their lead at seven points over second-placed Prudhoe and Stocksfield, to the delight of club chairman Neil Roseberry.

“I thought our lads demonstrated great team spirit today, in spite of being a man down for 16 minutes of the game due to yellow cards,” he said.

“However, those who remained on the pitch did an excellent job.

“They also showed great promise in attack and created chances that may well have been converted, had it not been for a stubborn Seghill rearguard.

“We’re enjoying happy times at the moment, but don’t wish to count our chickens too soon, with seven league games remaining. A lot can happen in that time.”

The hosts started well and asked serious questions of the Seaham defence. Eventually their pressure paid off on 17 minutes when referee Ian Hardcastle spotted Grant Dixon handling in a ruck and awarded a penalty, converted for a 3-0 lead.

However, going a score behind seemed to shake Seaham into action and a penalty on 24 minutes allowed Graeme Steel to level the scores.

Seaham had an escape when an easy Seghill penalty kick drifted right of the posts and the league leaders seemed to step up a gear afterwards.

Their pressure paid off in the 36th minute when, from a line-out, Grant Dixon took a good catch and the ball was passed out.

Graham Aldus looked certain to score his third try in two games, only to be tackled a metre short.

However, out of contact he popped a deft pass to flanker Mark Wilson, who crashed over. Brad Green’s conversion consolidated the lead.

Prop Gary Lynn caught his man with an outstretched arm and saw yellow just before half-time.

However, it did not affect Seaham and in-form winger Joey Jones was only a couple of metres short of a try.

Seghill conceded another penalty and Green extended the lead to 13-3.

Grant Dixon then charged down an attempted clearance and skipper Ben Bell pounced on the ball to claim a crucial first try of the season on 61 minutes. Steel’s conversion attempt was fired just wide from an awkward and the score stayed 18-3.

Seaham’s final minutes were nervy after Bell paid the price for collapsing a rolling maul in the 74th minute with a yellow card, but his team held on.