Seaham hit a wall after team problems

Have your say

SEAHAM paid the price for putting out a weakened team as they crashed 54-0 away to Wallsend.

They again missed a boatload of players for various reasons and had to rely on the services of player-coaches Jon Dye and Ryan Pink to bring enthusiasm into their beleaguered ranks.

Ryan Giblin, playing out of position, was caught flat-footed in the fifth minute and let the Wallsend winger in for a soft try. The added conversion rubbed salt into the wounds.

Powerful prop Jonny Martin broke through the Wallsend ranks and set off on a barnstorming run that took him to the edge of the opposition 22. Unfortunately, he was brought to the floor and Wallsend were able to clear their lines.

A second try for the home side followed, despite what looked like a forward pass, and Seaham’s plight worsened on 26 minutes when they were reduced to 14 men after the referee grew tired of their continuous cynical play at the breakdown. Graham Aldus was accused of handling in a ruck and was issued a yellow card.

Seaham held out for the ten minutes that Aldus was off and even created some clever attacking opportunities. However, their tackling looked feeble at times.

Just before the interval, though, John Whitehead threw a stray pass behind his try line that Jack McCallum was forced to touch down and concede a five-metre scrum. A third score was registered when Wallsend broke on the left and touched down for a converted try.

Wallsend secured a bonus point three minutes into the second half when their scrum-half dummied past Giblin to touch down and put his side 26-0 ahead.

Although the game had been played in reasonably controlled spirits, in spite of little niggles from both sides, the referee decided to clamp down in the 56th minute when he spotted John Whitehead tussling with one of the Wallsend second rows and yellow carded both.

Wallsend soon registered their fifth try and the conversion made it 33-0.

Seaham were temporarily reduced to 13 men after Aldus received treatment for a nasty cut on the top of his head.

Wallsend notched their sixth touch-down as a result of an over-ambitious cross-field kick by John Whitehead that went astray. One of the hosts’ backs read it well, caught the ball and ran upfield for a converted try and a 40-point lead.

Seaham battled forward but could find no way through, and the hosts counter-attacked for the final two scores of the game to emerge convincing victors.