Seaham find form in the end

Have your say

SEAHAM maintained their position at the top of Durham and Northumberland Division Three with a 31-13 win at Jarrovians.

It was a tough battle though, and they had to step up their game after the interval to seal the victory.

Seaham got off to an ideal start.

A kick for touch was kept in play by the Jarrovians winger, but his tap back infield was pounced upon by Jack McCallum and fly-hacked forward.

The wily fly-half then won the chase to touch down in the corner. Grant Westwick was unlucky with a difficult conversion attempt from the touchline.

Jarrovians, though, bounced back defiantly and enjoyed a spell of dominance, taking the lead with two penalties.

The hosts extended their lead on 23 minutes when, following a sustained spell of pressure, they were awarded a penalty.

A quick tap was taken and their fly-half spotted a gap in the Seaham defence and touched down for a converted try to move 13-5 up.

The plucky resistance of the hosts made a mockery of their league standing and they spent much of the half taking the game to the league leaders.

Jon Dye and Ryan Pink gave the Seaham players a no-nonsense roasting at the interval and it seemed to shake them into action.

They stormed out of the blocks from the restart and soon had the hosts on the back foot.

From a penalty. Graeme Steel took a quick tap and passed to Graham Aldus, who fed Dye and the player-coach beat three defenders to touch down. Steel’s conversion from the right touchline brought Seaham back to within a point.

An invigorated Seaham seemed to step up a gear and Pink touched down from a rolling maul.

Steel slotted a magnificent touchline conversion to put his side six points ahead.

Seaham earned a bonus point on 57 minutes when Aldus set away on a devastating run before being halted just outside of their 22. Jarrovians transgressed and were marched back a further ten metres following a spot of backchat.

Seaham took a quick tap and Grant Dixon bulldozed his way over. Westwick’s conversion stretched the lead to 26-13.

Within three minutes, Seaham registered their fifth try of the day when Dye offloaded to centre partner Aldus, who went over to complete the scoring.