Seaham Development show lots of promise

editorial image
Have your say

SEAHAM Development XV got their season off to a steady start with a strong performance against neighbouring Horden, winning 22-15.

The Harbour took a youthful side to Welfare Park and gave debuts to recent signings Dan Miller, Alex Robson and Stephen Noble, while Andy Hogwood returned to the fold.

Seaham took a second minute lead when Hogwood took a pass and ploughed through several tackles before offloading to Chris Bland.

The big forward sold an outrageous dummy and glided through a gap before popping a delightful pass to Alex Robson, who powered over the line for Seaham’s first score of the season.

Seaham extended their lead on 24 minutes when Ben Bell took a line-out catch ten metres from the Horden line.

John Dixon shipped a quick pass to Graeme Steel, who ghosted through for a try which he also converted for a 12-0 lead.

The hosts weren’t to be denied and their powerful centre took a pass at pace and evaded Ryan Giblin to touch down in the top left corner for an unconverted try.

Although the hosts had the advantage of the slope following the break, it was Seaham who recorded the first try of the half.

Ryan Giblin fed a pass to Mick Flowers, who crossed in the top right corner for a try.

The hosts maintained their tempo throughout numerous phases and their efforts were rewarded when their big number eight finished off a flowing move to powered over to reduce the arrears to 17-10.

Horden moved to within two points of their visitors when Chris Bland failed to use the men he had outside of him and chose to kick the ball away.

Unfortunately, it was gathered by one of the Horden centres, passed through several pairs of hands, and eventually touched down in the corner for an unconverted try.

With the game hanging in the balance, the final ten minutes were tensely contested.

Both sides had ample scoring opportunities, but it was the visitors who were to have the final say.

An excellent team effort involving Dan Miller and Stephen Noble was eventually rounded off by Graeme Steel at the death to seal victory for Seaham.