Horden turn things round with improved second-half display

Have your say

HORDEN returned to winning ways with a comfortable 32-13 win at Gateshead on Saturday.

Glenn Bowman’s team, who are second in Durham and Northumberland Division One, only two points behind Blyth, trailed 13-0 at the bottom club on Saturday.

But a second-half supershow turned things around.

Gateshead took the lead against the run of play with a 30-metre penalty.

The hosts added a try with 25 minutes on the clock when the flanker broke through after a line-out to score near the posts.

The conversion was landed and then a penalty just before half-time saw Gateshead go into the break with a 13-0 lead.

Horden came out in determined mood after the break and scored almost immediately from the kick-off.

A series of forward drives took play into the 22 before the ball was moved wide to Harry Cox, who finished well in the corner.

From a Gateshead kick, full-back Craig Jones almost added to the total with a counter-attack from inside his own half ending when he was pulled down just short.

But a penalty from Jones made it 13-8 and Horden were becoming more and more dominant.

Gateshead were pinned back in their 22 and from a scrum, the Horden pack drove the home team backwards and Newton Turton was quickest to react to touch down. Jones converted to make it 15-13 to the visitors.

The Horden pack continued to batter the opposition and Gateshead seemed to be running out of steam up front.

They conceded frequent penalties and from one, Horden kicked to the corner from where a catch and drive led to Turton going over for his second try.

Jones converted and another penalty made it 25-13.

With 10 minutes to go, Horden added the four-try bonus point. From a scrum inside the away half, Kieron Forbes picked up and broke through the defence, galloping to within five metres of the line. Jones was backing up well and took a short pass score next to the posts.

He converted to make it 32-13.

Gateshead came back right at the end, with stand-off David Heckles making a try-saving tackle in the corner to keep them out.

H Sunderland’s Division Two match at Whitby was postponed.