Horden slip down after another loss

Share this article
Have your say

HORDEN slipped to fifth in Durham and Northumberland Division One table when they suffered back-to-back defeats with a 36-17 loss at Guisborough.

Craig Jones kixcked a penalty for Horden but the lead did not last long and the North Yorkshire side scored their first try after 10 minutes after a kick and chase.

Working short phases around the contact area, Guisborough scored twice in quick succession, both touchdowns being converted, to move 17-3 up.

Horden were forced into a change in the backs when winger Cameron Stables went off with an injury. Neil Hartley took over at scrum-half, with Luke Watson moving to centre and Carl Oliver to the wing.

Far from disrupting them, Horden immediately scored a try to get back in the game.

The Horden pack made good ground with a number of powerful runs by the two Pauls, James and Malcolm before the ball was moved wide.

Davey Smith made a great break before offloading to Watson who got the reward for good support play by going under the posts. Jones converted and at only 17-10 adrift at half-time, Horden were back init.

Early in the second half, Horden used the breeze to take play into the Guisborough half.

And after one catch and drive, Horden made ground before Davy Heckles put up a high kick landing in the home 22 where the visitors retrieved the ball for Heckles to feed Jones who fended off his opposite number to score.

Jones stepped up to knock over a great conversion to level the scores at 17-17.

At that stage, having enjoyed the more possession and territory, Horden seemed to be gradually getting on top.

However, at a defensive Horden scrum, Guisborough charged down a clearing kick to win the race for the touch down to make it 24-17.

Horden then lost Thubron to an injury and not long after Thirkell to a yellow card.

From the penalty eight metres out, Guis took a tap to run through non-existent tackling from pack to put the game virtually out of reach at 31-17.

Horden dug deep and tried to find a way back into the game.

But they could not find another score and Guis finished off with another breakaway try to make it 36-17.