Horden go close, but no victory this time

Have your say

THIS time there was to be no comeback of the century – despite a damn good go.

A fortnight ago, Horden pulled off seemingly a mission impossible when they fought back from 27-7 down at half-time to beat Gosforth.

On Saturday, Horden conceded a huge lead to more Newcastle opposition, Medicals.

Glenn Bowman’s side trailed 30-8 early in the second period and despite a herculean effort, the hosts missed out by a single point.

Horden made a dreadful start, going 10-0 down to a converted try and penalty.

The hosts hit back quickly after Medicals conceded a penalty following a Michael Turner midfield break. Horden kicked to the corner, where a catch and drive from a line-out saw Newton Turton touch down for a unconverted try.

John Hudson kicked a penalty but so too did Medicals and the Tynesiders led 13-5.

Medicals claimed the ball from the re-start and good handling resulted in a converted try.

Things went from bad to worse when Turner was sin-binned 10 minutes before half-time for a high tackle. Medicals kicked the penalty and went into the interval 23-8 up.

Horden had made far too many unforced errors in the first half and gifted the visitors soft points.

And this continued after the break when Horden conceded a penalty on the 10-metre line for dissent.

Horden expected a kick at goal, but the Medicals scrum-half had other ideas. He tapped, fed the full-back who burst through a hole, stepped past the last defender and went under the posts to make it 30-8.

It seemed like game over at this point but Horden showed strong character to mount a comeback.

From a line-out drive in the away 22 the forwards used the pick and drive well for Chris Purvis go over, Hudson converting.

Horden then attacked down the short side for Dan Palmer to go over from close range to cut the gap to 30-20.

A Medicals penalty made their lead 13 points but despite this, the momentum was with Horden a Ryan Pink scored from a five-metre scrum.

Hudson’s conversion from wide out hit the post, then the cross-bar before falling on the wrong side – two missed points which would ultimately cost Horden.

But Horden were undaunted and they scored the best try of the game.

Following a number of forward drives, Andy White crashed through the defensive line and the quick recycled ball was moved wide where good hands by Scott Holloway saw Turner sneak in at the corner.

Just 33-30 behind, Horden were back on track and with 10 minutes to go, there was time to create more opportunities.

Unfortunately, Medicals had not received their copies of the script and they got the next try to make it 38-30. Horden needed two scores and they got one when Pink went over from a five-metre scrum, Hudson’s extras making it 38-37.

With a couple of minutes on the clock, Horden worked their way into the Medicals half and won a line-out in a good position, only to lose the throw-in. They did get back into Medicals territory but could not force a score.