Paul Garvin too strong for Stephen Scott

Share this article
Have your say

PAUL Garvin of Whitburn was in scintillating form against Stephen Scott of Farringdon in the Open Singles of the Westoe Removals Sunderland Snooker League.

He produced a tremendous show of potting prowess.

In the first frame, breaks of 48 and 30 soon put the issue to bed and Scott had little chance of replying.

In the second, a break of 47 gave Garvin the match 2-0.

A more exciting game was seen between Craig Bell of Glendale and John Smith of Whitburn, with Smith edging it 2-1.

Smith took an early lead in the first before a 20 break brought Bell back into the match and he took the frame when potting from the yellow to blue to go ahead.

Smith dominated and he levelled the match. The deciding third frame saw Smith build a 38 lead before breaks of 24 and 15 by Bell made it all square.

Going into the colours, Smith needed one ball from the last two, and he produced an outstanding shot on the pink to take the match.

Mark Bell of Washington Snooker beat Cheema’s Paul Kirsop 2-0.

With highly-rated players Norman Leslie of Hylton and Gary Bell of Washington playing each other, a good match was in prospect.

In the first frame Leslie stormed into the lead, but Bell steadily fought back to win the frame. Some solid potting by Bell led him to a 2-0 result.

In the Handicap Singles, Stephen Scott of Farringdon had Mark Bell as his opponent and started brilliantly with some fine potting sealing the first frame. Bell levelled in the second.

It was a closely-fought deciding frame with Scott having a slight edge before a missed blue proved very costly. Bell, who took the blue followed by the pink to win.

In the Second Division Singles, Michael Monaghan of Seaham Cons beat Alex Lewin of Biddick B 2-0.

In the Pairs, Michael Sayers and Ray Charlton of Steels won 2-1 against Ian Stewart and Tony Hazard of Farringdon.

In the first frame a handicap start of 17 to Steels was soon cleared as Stewart had a 21 break to force the game into nip and tuck situation. Sayers took the blue and pink to claim an early advantage.

Steels held the lead for most of the second frame before Stewart had a 44 break up to the yellow to put the pressure on. After breaking down on the yellow, Stewart soon recovered and took an opening to level on the late colours.

The deciding third frame saw Charlton take control, but this brought an immediate response from Hazard, who replied with a 24 to reduce the deficit. Sayers grabbed an opportunity to move 24 ahead.

Needing all the colours saw the Farringdon pair battle bravely, before Steels claimed a late colour to seal the win.

Michael Monaghan and Les Pinder of Seaham Cons won their match against Gary Moore and Bob Fisher of the Avenue.

Moore has been in outstanding form this season, but the Cons started the better and took the first frame. Avenue came back strongly to level.

In the third frame an opportunity gave Monaghan the chance to claim the colours up to the pink and progress to the next round.

H A delayed match between Woodside B and Green Baize was the only game played this week.

Woodside were given a terrific start by Ritchie Milner before Ken Brown levelled in the second.

Jason Qazi restored the lead in the third, but that was Woodside’s last success as Jeff Burn took the fourth and joined Dean Wilson in winning the pairs to complete a 3-2 result.