Hylton B power to snooker team trophy

Hylton B snooker team: L-R Chris Watkin, Ed Norton, Kev Steabler, DazHaraun, Gary Andrews, Dave McGuire (sub).
Hylton B snooker team: L-R Chris Watkin, Ed Norton, Kev Steabler, DazHaraun, Gary Andrews, Dave McGuire (sub).
Have your say

HYLTON B clinched the five-man team title with victory against Steels A in the Westoe Removals Sunderland Snooker league.

Ray Charlton Ken Haley, Jim Gales, Tom Ayre, Mick Sayers and George Allan played for Steels with Chris Watkins, Ed Norton, Kevin Stabler, Daz Haram, Gary Usher and Gary Andrews representing Hylton.

Playing the best of five frames, Sayers opened against Stabler and a close game went to the pink ball before Stabler gave his side the early advantage.

Ayres had the task of levelling for Steels but met Ed Norton on top form and found himself needing snookers on the colours.  

The attempts failed as Norton put Hylton two ahead. Steels now needed all the remaining frames and Haley started well before Chris Watkins pulled back to force a repeat of the second frame and win the frame to give Hylton the match.

In the three-man team event at South Hylton Club, Railway were represented by Vince Flynn, Joe Beston, Gary Turner, Fred Warren and Norman Lynn, while for Pennywell Comrades A the players were Mark Anderson, Paul Wyatt, Peter Anderson, Joe Turner and Alf Turner.

In a best of three frame match the first frame is always important and Turner of Railway was playing the in-form Mark Anderson of Pennywell.

Anderson, aided by an 18 break, set the early running, steadily building a lead before a great response from Turner pulled him back to eventually win 55-46 on the black.

Joe Beston had the task of winning the second to secure the title for Railway but Paul Wyatt is very steady and he moved into a 31 point lead for Pennywell. This brought a fight-back from Beston who reduced the deficit, but unluckily had to witness a fluked pink by Wyatt to take the frame 51-41 and level.

Norman Lynn took the early exchanges for Railway and looked the likely winner as he forced Peter Anderson into a position where he needed three snookers.  This brought the best out of Anderson, who brilliantly laid the three snookers and potted the black to give Pennywell the title in a 2-1 success.

The Captain’s Cup, a five-frame match, was played at Railway between Gary Moore of Avenue and Bob Boyce of South Hylton Club.

A hesitant first frame by both players went to the black before a missed chance by Boyce led to an easy opportunity for Moore to take the lead.

A more controlled Boyce responded well and a 48 break only broke down when he went in-off after potting a red. The frame was conceded on the last red to level.

Chances were there for both players in the third, with Moore responding better before Boyce was unlucky in fouling on the blue. That led to a break of 20 by Moore that took the frame.

A determined Boyce was brilliant in the fourth moving 40 ahead without reply, and further potting took him into a position where Moore needed a miracle.

The last frame was for the title and both players showed a little pressure, missing chances that were gobbled up in the previous frames.

With one red remaining they were separated by a single point but the first opportunity fell to Moore, who scored enough to force Boyce into needing a snooker. With three balls on the table an in-off by Boyce decided the match, with Moore taking the title.

In the Open Singles semi-finals, Gary Bell beat Adam Smith and will now meet Craig Kane, who beat Norman Leslie.

In the Handicap Singles, Adam Smith beat Ian Stewart and will play Mark Bell, who beat Bill Milne.

And in the First Division Singles, Bob Boyce beat Mark Bell and will play Gary Ablett after he won against Neil McLaren.