Hockey: Two-goal Dench the hero as Sunderland beat Newcastle

Sunderland Broom's Sam Middleton (red) takes on Marton Furness in their recent clash.
Sunderland Broom's Sam Middleton (red) takes on Marton Furness in their recent clash.
Share this article
Have your say

Sunderland Broom firsts pulled off a fine 4-1 victory over Newcastle University.

Broom fielded just the bare 11 players against a youthful and 14-strong Uni side in the North East League’s Premiership and achieved a cracking win despite the lack of substitutes.

Matthew Dench had a glorious opportunity to give Broom the lead inside the first 30 seconds.

The rebound came out to Andy Brown, returning after a long lay-off, only to see him smothered out by two defenders and the on-rushing keeper.

But it did not take long for Sunderland to get their goal, with Brown returning the favour to Dench, who slotted home a delightful reverse sweep over the keeper.

Sunderland were bossing the midfield, with Kernohan, Johnny Pearson and Sam Middleton playing the ball around with ease, and another swift attack saw Dench take the ball past three players into the D and then rounding the keeper to slot in for 2-0.

The second half started in similar fashion, but an unusual error from centre-back Andrew Scollen saw Newcastle get a goal back after a ball across the back was intercepted.

Unperturbed, Sunderland broke through the middle again and won a short corner which was easily dispatched by skipper Middleton, after a one-two with Dench.

Three very quickly became four when Pearson scored a flick from the top of the D after another well-worked short corner routine.

Sunderland eased off to see out another valuable three league points.

This weekend, Sunderland are away to Tynemouth and Whitley Bay.

Meanwhiel, in the North East/Durham Second Teams Trophy, Sunderland Broom seconds put on a hard-working display in a 3-0 defeat at Newcastle Medics.

Due to the knock-on effect of the lack of players fir the first team, theseconds were forced to play their top striker, Adam Pawley, in goal and their top defender, Jim Gardner, had to umpire, with no substitutes.

In the first half, Sunderland battled well and created a number of scoring chances, particularly through Johnny Raine, but they were not converted. Medics scored late in the first half to go 1-0 up.

Sunderland pressed for a second-half equaliser but were caught on the break to go 2-0 down. As the legs tired, Medics scored late to seal the game.

Pawley had a fine game in goal.

The seconds now go in the NE/Durham Second Team Plate. This weekend, they head to Tynedale on league duty.