Farringdon stun South Hylton to move on to semi-finals

editorial image
Have your say

After the excitement of last week’s final group matches, the finished group positions were determined in the Danby Autos Sunderland Snooker Summer League and the draw for the quarter-finals was made with some interesting matcwhes to come.

This week, only one match was played and it was a rearranged quarter-finals match between defending Summer League winners South Hylton A and league returnees Farringdon.

The first frame saw Ian Stewart face former team-mate Micky McLoughlin, with both players hoping to get off to a good start.

After a nervous start by both players, a few small breaks helped them settle, but neither player was able to gain an advantage and going down to the final colours the frame could go either way.

After some good safety play, a mistake by Ian left Micky a chance which he took, potting the pink and black to win the first frame 64-58.

Bobby Boyce faced Ryan McKenna in the second frame hoping to level the match.

Ryan had the first chance and a 15 break saw him get off to a good start.

An excellent long red by Bobby gave him a chance to get back into the frame, but a missed blue into the middle pocket proved costly as a 33 break by Ryan saw him build up a good lead.

A 21-break by Bobby helped him get back into the frame, but wasn’t able to close the gap as after a few more pots, Ryan won the second frame 63-24 and move Farringdon into a 2-0 lead.

With Hylton needing to win the next frame to stay in the competition, Kevin Harrop faced Paul Grant.

After a slow start by both players, a few small breaks by Kevin helped him build up a slight lead.

With only a few balls left on the table, some excellent safety play and some good long pots saw Kevin pull away and win the third frame 65-32 and give Hylton a chance for a comeback.

Hylton needed to win the pairs to force a decider as Ian Stewart and Tony Hazard faced Micky McLoughlin and Colin Wrathmall.

With both teams showing signs of nerves, mistakes were made but neither side were able to punish the other until a good safety shot by Micky left Tony in trouble.

A failed escape was punished and a 24-break by Colin helped Farringdon build up a good lead.

With one red left on the table, a good pot by Tony gave Hylton a chance to get back into the frame, but a poor positional shot off the blue left him snookered.

A miss on the yellow saw Farringdon win the frame 73-41 and move into the semi finals winning 3-1.

Remaining quarter-final fixtures: Tuesday, August 4 – Lumley B v Mill View B and Wednesday, August 5 – South Hylton B v Biddick A and Green Baize v Steels.

H Could members please be aware that the next monthly meeting is the AGM meeting and is on Thursday at the Victory Club, starting downstairs at 7.30pm.

All teams wanting to enter the Winter League must attend the meeting.

H Whitburn and Marsden Social Club are pleased to announce an evening with world ranked number 34 Gary Wilson on Thursday, August 20, starting at 7.30pm.

Tickets cost £10 per person and are available by contacting John Smith on 07944028171.