Local football: RCA in red-hot form again

Sunderland RCA continue to set the pace in the Skilltrainingltd Northern League Second Division and a 5-1 romp at Thornaby extended their 100 per cent recordto seven games.

The goals flowed from Paul Taylor, Steve Jones, Stephen Stewart, Ashley Davis and Mark Davison with Carl Garside the Teessiders' only marksman.

RCA have scored 29 goals, six more than any other side and with five against, conceded the fewest.

Seaham Red Star's hopes of making an immediate return to the top flight were dented when they lost for the sixth time in 10 games, at Brandon United for whom Jordan Archer bagged a brace of goals.

Birtley Town remain third bottom after they succumbed to North Shields who registered their fifth consecutive win.

Finbar Lynch and Kris Hughes (pen) had Birtley two goals up by the hour but the Robins hit back through James Luccock, John Amos and an 88th-minute winner byRobbie Livermore.

Whitehaven are second-top, three points adrift of RCA who have two games in hand on their nearest rivals.

The Cumbrians had to settle for a share of the points at fourth-placed Marske United for whom Steven Cochrane and Carl Chillingsworth netted. David Dustin andStephen Hewitt responded.

Chester-le-Street played 87 minutes of their First Division game with Penrith with 10 men following the dismissal of Robbie Draper.

Craig Wilson converted the penalty awarded for the incident and the Cumbrians added another five goals from Mattie Lee (2), Wayne Robertson, Daniel Robinsonand Grant Davidson. James Ellis and Nathan Fisher claimed consolations for the Cestrians.

Spennymoor Town who were on FA Cup duty, remain a point ahead at the top with Ashington now second following their 4-0 defeat of Esh Winning.

Gareth Bainbridge, Scott Blandford, Keith Douglas and Stephen Banks (og) found the net.

A brace of goals by Stephen Ramsey earned South Shields the points at Billingham Synthonia for whom David Yale replied with a late penalty and Shildon also left it until the final minutes before defeating West Allotment Celtic.

Craig Tait had given West an early lead and following Chris Bell's equaliser, Daniel Moore hit the winner two minutes from time.

The League did not enjoy a good day in the FA Cup and only two sides won although Horden CW live to fight again.

Spennymoor Town routed Ryton with six goals flowing from Michael Wray (3), Keith Graydon, Garry Barnes and Karl Beasley.

Jarrow Roofing again rose to the occasion in the competition and Michael Hepplewhite's goal in the 67th minute earned them their place in the next round at the expense of Garforth Town.

Bishop Auckland crashed 4-1 at Bradford Park Avenue where Stephen Salvin (pen) cancelled out Mark Bett's early strike. A Simon Ainge hat-trick though ended the visitors' hopes.

Last season's FA Carlsberg winners Whitley Bay went down 2-0 at Guiseley, Morpeth Town lost by a single goal to Ossett Town, Norton and Stockton Ancients suffered a 4-0 defeat at home to FC Halifax Town while GuisboroughTown conceded nine goals to Kendal Town.