Wigan’s victory over Manchester City compared to Sunderland’s 1973 triumph

FA Cup Final 2013 - Wembley - Wigan Athletic v Manchester City. Mike Pollitt lifts the FA Cup trophy.
FA Cup Final 2013 - Wembley - Wigan Athletic v Manchester City. Mike Pollitt lifts the FA Cup trophy.
Have your say

WIGAN Athletic stunned Manchester City as Ben Watson’s injury-time goal saw them win the FA Cup final with a 1-0 victory.

City, runners-up in the Barclays Premier League, had been overwhelming favourites to win, but instead they finished the season without a trophy.

The game had echoes of Sunderland’s FA Cup victory over the then mighty Leeds United in 1973 – an event which celebrated it’s 40th anniversary last weekend.

Few outside Wearside gave the Second Division side a chance against Leeds. Don Revie’s team had won the FA Cup the previous year when they had also been runners-up in the league.

However, they were unsettled by a determined Sunderland side who took the lead after half an hour through Ian Porterfield.

Goalkeeper Jimmy Montgomery then defied Leeds with a series of outstanding saves as the team produced one of the biggest FA Cup shocks.

Here we look at other FA Cup final shocks:

1927, CARDIFF 1 ARSENAL 0: Arsenal were out and out favourites for the tournament and were led by Herbert Chapman, who later made the Gunners the dominant team of the 1930s. They were, though, undone by one of the most famous FA Cup final goals. Cardiff’s Hughie Ferguson’s low pot-shot should have been simple for goalkeeper Dan Lewis to gather. However, it squirmed out of his hands and, with a couple of forwards closing in, Lewis knocked the ball into the net - something he later blamed on his goalkeeper’s jersey which was brand new, making it greasy and difficult to grip the ball. It is remembered as the time that “the Cup was let out of England”.

1976, SOUTHAMPTON 1 MANCHESTER UNITED 0: Tommy Docherty’s swashbuckling Manchester United side were expected to make light work of Second Division Southampton. The Red Devils missed several early chances and were made to pay as the Saints got stronger. With extra-time looming, Bob Stokoe slotted the ball past Alex Stepney to secure a highly unlikely victory.

1987, COVENTRY 3 TOTTENHAM 2: Tottenham were heavily fancied to lift their third FA Cup in six seasons against unfancied Coventry, who were appearing in their first domestic up final. Clive Allen put Spurs ahead after two minutes but Dave Bennett equalised minutes later. Gary Mabbutt gave Tottenham a half-time lead but Keith Houchen hauled the Sky Blues level with a stunning diving header and the game went into extra time. Mabbutt then had the misfortune to score at the wrong end when the ball deflected off his knee and over Ray Clemence as Coventry claimed a famous win.

1988, WIMBLEDON 1 LIVERPOOL 0: Few people gave Wimbledon a chance against the Reds and neither did they inspire much affection. Liverpool were the newly-crowned league champions, but the Dons took the lead through Lawrie Sanchez just before half-time. The Reds were then awarded a penalty, but Dave Beasant saved from John Aldridge and proceeded to defy the Merseyside team.