Wearside League: Nathan the hero as Ashbrooke Belford House come from behind to secure first win

Ashbrooke Belford House came from behind to beat Boldon CA 2-1 in the TWR Bifolds Wearside League last night.

Thursday, 11th August 2016, 9:30 am
Updated Thursday, 25th August 2016, 6:52 pm
Silksworth CW (red) battle Hartlepool in the Wearside League last weekend

Jack Lawton’s penalty had Boldon in front after 12 minutes, but David Paul equalised with a screamer from 35 yards, direct from a free-kick, right on half-time.

Then, in the second half, Nathan Burrell scored from close range to give the Wearsiders their first win of the season, following Saturday’s 5-0 mauling at Horden CW.

Sunderland West End were good 4-2 winners against Prudhoe Town.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

However, they had to come from behind after Prudhoe opened the scoring with Stephen Forster’s goal. Alan Golightly equalised, but Prudhoe retook the lead with a long shot from Derek Waters to lead 2-1 at half-time.

Immediately after the restart, Golightly tapped in his second from a left-wing cross.

West End soon went ahead with an own goal from a Prudhoe defender before some good work down the right enabled Baz Turton to make the game safe at 4-2 late on.

Silksworth CW succumbed 2-1 at Leam Rangers.

Centre-half Gavin Williams opened the scoring with a header from a corner and, in the 87th minute, James Wood broke clear and lobbed the visiting keeper to make it 2-0. Philip Hall scrambled a stoppage-time consolation for Silksworth.

Horden CW were held 2-2 at home by Stokesley SC.

Horden opened the scoring through Brian Myers on 34 minutes and increased their lead on 63, with Kieron Voss netting. Soon after, Ryan Rivis reduced the arrears and then, with three minutes left, Dan Kaney drilled home past keeper Paul Griffith for a share of the spoils.

Jarrow entertained Seaham Red Star Reserves at Perth Green and the game was goalless at half-time.

However, in the second half, the home side came to life and Paul Durrell opened the scoring. Richard Elliott added a second and then Stephen Graham added a 71st minute penalty to make it 3-0.

Red Star responded with a late Luke Taylor consolation.

Coxhoe Athletic ran out 3-1 victors at Annfield Plain, who led with Gary Mackay’s 20th minute strike.

Callum Boakes quickly levelled, then Chris Foster put Coxhoe aheas with a shot from the edge of the box. Ross Morrow’s angled shot went in off the post in the 83rd minute to seal the visitors’ triumph.

Newcomers South Shields Reserves recorded a fine triumph away to Cumbrians Cleator Moor Celtic.

They trailed to Ryan Hall’s goal but Ashley Davidson’s double steered the Mariners home 2-1.

Redcar Athletic had an emphatic 7-0 win at Wolviston, after Andy Jennings hit a first-minute opener.

Anthony Jones (2), Bryan Stewart, Chris Bivens and Sam Webster also got among the goals.

Richmond Town beat Hartlepool 4-2.

Ash Clark and Matthew Gardener netted for Pool, but Chris Pattison (2), substitute Dan Caisley and Scott Riley, in the last minute, saw the hosts home.