Wearside League: Hall Farm Glasshus spring surprise with Trophy victory against Wolviston in shoot-out

Sunderland side Hall Farm pulled off the shock of the first round in the Durham County FA Trophy.

Monday, 7th November 2016, 10:30 am
Updated Wednesday, 16th November 2016, 3:51 pm
Hall Farm Glasshus (blue shirts and shorts) take on Wolviston in Saturday's Durham Trophy tie at Leyburn Grove. Picture by Tim Richardson

The Durham Alliance Combination League leaders defeated Wolviston on penalties to progress, following a close-fought 1-1 draw at Leyburn Grove in Houghton.

Wolviston had taken a 30th-minute lead, when Andrew McGirr found the net with his shot following a rebound, but Hall Farm equalised in the 65th minute when man of the match Chris Bewick netted following a goalmouth scramble.

That ensured a penalty shoot-out, in which Hall Farm were the victors by 6-5.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Ashbrooke Belford House won their derby 4-3 against Silksworth CW in a terrific game.

Stephen Bogie, for the home side, struck on 35 minutes to cancel out Kieran Mitchell’s Silksworth opener five minutes earlier.

Ashbrooke then went in front on 56 minutes, courtesy of Corey Steele, but Mitchell fired in his second of the game to make it 2-2.

In a dramatic last six minutes, the visitors took an 84th minute lead through Dean Randall, but Belford House roared back to equalise, Nathan Burrell scoring with just three minutes left.

Deep into injury time, Ashbrooke’s Mark Terry scored the winner, capitalising to fire home after goalkeeper Joe Clayton made a mistake.

Seaham Red Star Reserves thrashed South Shields Reserves 4-1.

Brennan Ball gave Red Star the perfect start with an early opener, only for Johnny Hope to equalise.

Red Star, though, regrouped and ran out convincing winners thanks to three second-half goals, with Michael Cook, Ryan Martin and Brandon Cook killing off the visitors.

Ten-man Sunderland West End threw away a 3-0 lead at home to Hartlepool - and paid the price.

Michael Waterson, Mark Catcheside and Alan Golightly had put West End three up inside 24 first-half minutes, despite the 10th-minute setback of a red card for Brad Forster for a bad foul.

Pool gradually came back into the game, and goals from John Stevenson, from close range before the interval, and Jamie Tumilty, with an excellent free-kick, got them back to 3-2 before a dramatic last-minute goal from Stevenson took the match to penalties.

Hartlepool held their nerve and were victorious in the shoot-out, winning 4-3, with Rhys Tapner hitting their winning sudden-death spot-kick.

Leaders Jarrow won 2-0 away to Durham Alliance Combination League side West Auckland Tuns, whose star man was Andrew Taylor.

Peter Kane made the breakthrough, after latching on to a loose ball, and Jonny Hirst made the game safe with a fine finish midway through the second half.

Annfield Plain triumphed 2-1 at Bishop Auckland Reserves as Dan Walker produced both goals to knock out the Combination League side, with Gary Mackay running the show.

Leam Rangers endured derby disappointment, with a 4-1 home defeat to Northern Alliance club Gateshead Rutherford, after leading with a Liam McVicar strike.

James Ward, Kendjo Zadjo, Dylan Howarth and Riccardo Tanoh guided Rutherford through.

In the only TWR Bifolds Wearside League game, second-top Richmond Town won 5-1 at Darlington 1883 Reserves and have closed the gap on leaders Jarrow to just three points.

Ben Darville (2) and Scott Ryan had Town 3-0 up at half-time before Lewis Reece responded, but further goals from Stephen Butterworth and Ryan sealed the win.

Redcar Athletic ran out 6-0 winners at bottom club Harton & Westoe in the TWR Shipowners Cup.

Andrew Jennings fired a hat-trick to maintain his prolific form, with Sam Webster netting twice, including a penalty. Chris Atkinson also notched.

Prudhoe Town exited the Northumberland County Cup, going down 3-2 at home to Northern Alliance side Shankhouse.