Sunderland Sunday League: Athletic fighters push Oddies hard in tight cup clash

Fourth Division promotion favourites Hendon Athletic pushed Oddies all the way before losing out 2-1 after extra time in the Total Sport Challenge Trophy.

Saturday, 5th March 2016, 12:00 pm

Oddies defended well throughout, with Redman and Smith outstanding. Martin Hope put Hendon in front with his usual goal and fine saves from the Oddies keeper kept the score down.

Midway through the second half, Oddies had the chance to level from the spot, but Chapman, in goal, was equal to it. A dubious offside decision proved costly for Hendon soon after and Hammond slid home to make it 1-1.

Oddies managed to find the winner in extra time. A second dubious decision against Hendon provided Oddies with their second penalty of the game. Man of the match Chapman saved David Snowdon’s poor spot-kick, but he could not do anything with the follow-up from Snowdon, who lashed home to send Oddies into the next round.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Hylton Castle TWR Bifold Doors cruised past The Ashbrooke 5-2 in the only all-Premier tie.

Keiran Martin continued his excellent season and fired a hat-trick for TWR. The Ashbrooke did take the game to Philly Monson’s men and managed to reduce the deficit with two Luke Olabode goals, but the tie was later settled as Thomas Scott and super Kev Gordon both found the net.

Hendersons Butchers made easy work of Michael Smith’s Wear United in a 4-0 victory.

Smith’s men dreamt of a classic cup upset, but the Butchers’ experience got them through. Adam McGuiness, Richie Jordan and a brace from Connor Cavanagh beat Steve Barnes in United’s goal.

Hepple shone for Wear, with Jordan best for Butchers.

O’Brien Waste Recycling were back to their best as they dumped struggling Stumble Inn out out of the cup with an easy 3-0 win courtesy of goals from Anderson, Fairs and Gav Murton. Rhys Robson starred in vain for Stumble.

SR Dons wrapped up their tie at Washington Colliery in the first minute as Robbie Williamson fired a double.

Dons dominated from the off, and John Noble secured the 5-0 win with a hat-trick after being introduced from the bench. Keith Burnett was Colliery’s star man.

Redhouse Last Orders moved top of Division One after a close-fought 4-2 win over Ryhope Top House.

Paul Stokoe smashed a hat-trick past McConnell to have them cruising, but Ryan Wood grabbed a brace to make it a tense finish. After both teams missed chances, Michael Smith made sure of victory for Last Orders with their fourth goal.

Thorney Close Inn were inspired by their local legends to take all three points from The Royal Marine with a 4-2 away success.

The talking point was Thorney’s bench as they had a combined age of 215 years – older than the bench in Mowbray Park when it first opened.

Mick Greenwell (52), Peter Greenwell (48), Gary Tansey (43), David Taylor (43) and the youthful Jimmy Gordon (29) were the subs, having retrieved their boots from the Winter Gardens museum.

Tony Hammond (2), Collins and a goal from keeper Martin Jackson won it for Thorney, with Alex Fannen notching twice for Royal Marine.

Willow Pond showed no mercy as they thrashed basement boys Pennywell Comrades 7-0.

Hurrell Jnr (2), Grant Carr (2), Jake McDermott, Connor Gales and Warren Cassap did the damage, with Richard Bland immense for Willow.

Vane Arms recorded an important 3-1 win over Farringdon Detached to keep in touch with the leading pack.

Steven “Chocolate” Fountain scored on his return from injury, then Robbie New and Chris Wasey finished the scoring for Vane. Davey Stevens came off the bench to hit a consolation for Farra, who had Chris Bewick as star man.

Paul “Chester Road Cafu” Stephenson fired Lakeside SSC to a 3-2 Third Division victory away to Mountain Daisy F&M Underdogs.

Stephenson opened the scoring, then Kris Keith increased the Lakeside lead, but the Daisy fought back to level things after McQuillan and Michael Johnson both struck.

Lady Luck was shining on the Stephenson family, though, as Lee Stephenson fired the winner. Local scouts confirm he is turning the head of the Hendon Athletic chairman.

It was business as usual for the Lansdowne as they chalked up a 2-0 win over Penshaw CC. Jukes and Lynch scored the important goals to ensure their side recorded the 15th league win on the bounce.

One more win will see them clinch the league title

Sam Whigham and Fairweather fired the Board Inn into an early lead, but they let the Kings Arms back in, with Archer and Wilson scoring.

But the point was not enough for the visitors as this draw confirmed relegation for the Kings Arms

Josh Perry and Jordan Ridley hit the goals for Ashbrooke Sports Club to overcome a resolute Mill View CIU side 2-0 away from home.

Chris Richardson had a better week and didn’t find his own net, much to the disappointment of brother Scott. Jordan Colling shone in goal for Mill View.