Youngsters show their paces in lively Roker Park work-out

editorial image
Share this article
Have your say

FOR the first time in ten years, Sunderland dropped the idea of staging a pre-season friendly match for their final public outing before the start of a new season. Instead, at Roker Park this afternoon, they staged a full-scale practice match pitting all available playing staff against the first choice side.

Notable absentees were Dave Watson, who was injured at Berwick last week, and Martin Harvey who has a stubborn back injury. The game was designed as a full-scale work-out rather than a show-piece and not surprisingly there were only about 1,000 present at the start.

Tones won the toss for the reserves and the first team, starting the game attacking the Fulwell End, were ahead in four minutes.

A corner was forced on the left and from Tueart’s kick PITT headed wide of Rankin and just inside the post. The Reserves were near to an equaliser when Chambers broke from mid-field after beating Malone to send Kent away on the left. The winger went clear before making a centre with Pitt covering the ball was allowed to go out of play for a goal-kick on the far side.

The Reserves soon indicated that they had a lot to offer. Their defensive covering was extremely good and they were near to an equaliser when Kerr was pulled up for a foul on Hepworth.

SUNDERLAND: Montgomery, Malone, Bolton, Horswill, Pitt, Porterfield, McGiven, Kerr, Hamilton, Lathan, Tueart.

SUNDERLAND RESERVES: Forster, Rankin, Hepworth, Ashurst, Tones, Harrison, Mitchell, Southwick, Chambers, Kent.

Kent’s free kick was met by Tones in front of goal and his powerful header had to be covered by Montgomery though the stand side linesman was flagging for offside against Sunderland.

Tueart won the toss with a powerful left foot shot from an inside pass by Malone. And then brilliant work on the ball by Hamilton created a shooting chance, the centre forward’s drive being blocked just short of goal.

After Tueart had produced another powerful shot which travelled narrowly wide Shannon broke on the right and when Montgomery failed to hold his cross there was a scramble to get the ball away.

Mitchell’s intelligent work in midfield launched the Reserves into several attacks but they found Horswill and Pitt in confident command.

The seniors went further ahead in the 24th minute when Kerr won a battle with Hepworth near the corner flag on the right. The ball was moved to Malone whose centre travelled to the far side of goal where it was headed back by Lathan and goal by PORTERFIELD.

Kerr brought back an excellent save from Forster and then McGiven had the attack moving again with strong work on the left, but his centre was headed clear by Harrison.

As the Reserves came under increasing pressure there was an opportunity for both Ashurst and Tones to show their paces and both came through well.

Just before half time LATHAN hit a third goal after Hamilton had set up a shooting chance for Tueart whose drive was palmed out by Forster.

Half-time: Sunderland 3, Sunderland Reserves 0.

Several changes were made for the second half. In the first team Swinburn, Coleman, and Blyth took over from Montgomery, Bolton and Porterfield while for the Reserves Waugh, T. Callaghan, M. Henderson, Stronach, Mason and K. Henderson replaced Forster, Hepworth, Harrison, Shannon, Mitchell and Southwick.

There was an early call for Waugh when Kerr was beaten to the ball by Rankin on the left. Kerr took the throw and Coleman switched inside to hit a right foot shot which was heading just inside the far post when Waugh dived across to make a brilliant save.

In the 57th minute a Rankin foul on Kerr conceded a free-kick at the edge of the penalty area. Kerr took it himself and HAMILTON went up to beat Waugh with a well placed header.

The first team’s winning margin was extended to 5–0 in the 62nd minute when Hamilton moved well in the middle before bringing in Tueart on the right, the wingers centre being headed home by LATHAN.

Of the newcomers Blyth showed up well in midfield for the seniors with Mike and Ken Henderson and Stronach showing great promise for the Reserves.

A determined run by Michael Henderson and a well judged through ball had Stronach looking dangerous until he was pulled down in the penalty area and the referee point to the spot.

Penalty expert Ken Henderson stepped up to take a kick but he directed his drive high over the bar.

TUEART hammered in a sixth goal with a fierce drive from 20 yards in the 75th minute.

Waugh had been given no chance with any of the second half goals but he handled everything within reach very capably indeed.

Final: Sunderland 6, Sunderland Reserves 0.

Story taken from the Sunderland Echo on August 5 1972.