Northern Irishman Rory Donnelly could be the subject of a tussle on Merseyside as both Liverpool and Everton have expressed an interest in the forward.
The 19-year-old Cliftonville striker looked set to be heading to Swansea after the Welsh club had a £100,000 bid accepted earlier in the month, but Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish is said to have held talks with him.
He told the BBC: “We’ve registered our interest, that’s as far as it goes.”
The prolific youngster could yet be heading across Stanley Park as it is rumoured Everton have lodged the highest bid.
Liverpool have already beaten off competition to sign promising Jordan Ibe from Wycombe and Donnelly would fit in well with their policy of signing young, exciting British talent - although if David Moyes wins the race for Donelly’s signature he could bring much needed firepower to an Everton side that have only scored 18 goals all season.
Liverpool’s Luis Suarez has an eight game ban hanging over him and Andy Carroll has not lived up to his price-tag yet which could tempt Dalglish to strengthen his attacking options.
Another name that has been mentioned is FC Koln’s Lukas Podolski but eyebrows will be raised if Andy Carroll falls behind another striker at Anfield.
Newcastle’s Cheick Tiote has also been constantly linked with a move to Liverpool, something that was strengthened when Lucas Leiva was ruled out for the season, however with the return of Steven Gerrard from the bench against Blackburn on Boxing Day Dalglish may feel they have enough options in midfield.
In terms of departures at Anfield, Liverpool may be tempted to let some of their youngsters go out on loan to gain experience.
John Flanagan has been limited to a handful of appearances so far this season with Glenn Johnson’s return from injury and Martin Kelly proving to be an able deputy and Dalglish could be tempted to allow the 18-year-old fullback to go out on loan should a Premier League manager come knocking.
Jonjo Shelvey has just been re-called from a loan spell at Blackpool as cover for Lucas but with Gerrard’s return he could be another that Dalglish would allow to go out on loan to gain Premier League Experience.
Bury may also look to re-new the loan of winger David Amoo when his current spell at Gigg Lane expires on January 2.
Across Stanley Park Everton have already captured the signature of striker Landon Donovan on an eight week loan deal from LA Galaxy where the American scored 16 goals last season.
Donovan, who will be available from the start of the New Year until February 26, scored two goals in ten appearances for Everton when he spent a similar spell on loan at Goodison last year and Moyes will be hoping he can be as big a success as he was last year.
Moyes said: “I am delighted that we have managed to get Landon back. He will give us some good experience over January and February.
“He did well for us when he was over two years ago and hopefully will return with those same qualities.”
Both Phil Jagielka and Luis Saha have recently come out and said that Everton’s lack of funds are holding back the club the loan market could be where Moyes looks to strengthen his side as he may find himself struggling to match the transfer fees other clubs can afford.
However one of the main priorities for Toffees fans will be for the club to hang on to highly rated midfielder Jack Rodwell.
Rodwell has long been courted by Sir Alex Ferguson and now it is rumoured that Chelsea want the England international as a possible replacement for Frank Lampard and are expected to start the bidding at £12 million although Everton will be looking for at least £20 million to be tempted to sell.
Tranmere could also try to persuade David Moyes to allow Jose Baxter’s loan deal to be extended further as he has impressed manager Les Parry.
Donnelly (£1m) from Cliftonville
Jack Rodwell (£20m) to Chelsea, Jose Baxter (Loan) Tranmere
Donnelly (£1m) from Cliftonville, Lukas Podolski (£10m) from FC Koln, Cheick Tiote (£20m) from Newcastle
John Flanagan (Loan), Jonjo Shelvey (Loan), David Amoo (Loan)