Sunderland boss David Moyes has revealed the club is close to a transfer breakthrough.
Sunderland are in desperate need of new signings, with Moyes' options decimated in recent weeks through injuries - the latest one being goalkeeper Vito Mannone - and the sale of Younes Kaboul to Watford.
Two players that have been strongly linked with a move to Wearside are Barnsley central defender Alfie Mawson, 22, and right-back Javier Manquillo, 22, from Atletico Madrid.
And Moyes has confirmed: "They are both on our radar."
Moyes didn't confirm if Mawson and Manquilloare the players Sunderland are closing in on, but he did say the hard work being done behind the scenes is expected to soon pay off.
"We are close [to a signing], we are just waiting to find out if it is a goer or not," Moyes told the Echo.
"We have agreement with the club, we have got agreement with the player - we are just waiting for the final say-so.
"That’s one deal, but I am hoping there are going to be a few [signings].
"We are short of time, and we are really short of players.
"I’m confident we will get a few in."
A senior right-back, central defender, central midfielders and striker are the positions targeted by Moyes before the transfer window closes on August 31.
Moyes said: "I have only been in the door three or four weeks, you have to remember the season finished in the middle of May.
"I came in August, there was a long time to do other things as well and get them in place and we didn't so now we are having to do things quickly to get it right.
"I'm confident we will get it done. I'm confident by the window we will have some more players in to add to the squad because we need it, we are short.
"More importantly we have lost some senior players who would have helped us just now and maybe not force us into playing so many of the young ones all together."
Meanwhile, talks over Yann M'Vila, who starred on loan last season, remain ongoing with Russian side Rubin Kazan although the deal is proving far from straightforward.
The French midfielder is available on a free in January.
"I know that Martin [Bain, chief executive] and the lawyers over in Russia have spoken," added Moyes.
"But that’s all I know about where that deal might be at."
Meanwhile, Lamine Kone is due to return to the Academy of Light tomorrow.
The 27-year-old - who last week turned down the offer of a new contract - was sent home on Friday after reporting to training with a back injury less than 24-hours after rejecting the offer of a new deal from Sunderland.
The £18million-rated defender is wanted by Everton, who have lodged a bid with Sunderland.
He is due back to work for treatment on Wednesday, with Moyes remaining confident the Ivory Coast international will be staying at the club.
He was originally due back in today but his daughter was not well.
Moyes said: "Our stance is that he is not going.
"He will be back in tomorrow for treatment on his back."