Sunderland AFC transfer and takeover news RECAP: Reaction to William Storey's claims as Cats miss out on targets
Sunderland are considering their options after last week’s League One salary cap announcement put restrictions on their transfer activity.
The Black Cats remain interested in several targets but are taking stock after the new ruling, and the arrivals of Aiden O'Brien and Bailey Wright before it was introduced.
Scroll down to read the latest news, transfer gossip and analysis from the Stadium of Light – and to see how it all unfolded in Thursday’s SAFC blog:
Sunderland AFC transfer and takeover news RECAP: 13 August
- Wannabe Sunderland owner William Storey spoke on BBC Newcastle yesterday evening about his attempts to buy the club - yet the Echo understands he’s NOT a credible buyer.
- Phil Parkinson has revealed that the Black Cats missed out on a ‘couple’ of targets last week.
- The Sunderland manager is still keen on adding a further five players to his ranks.
- Sunderland’s League One fixtures will be announced next week.
Phil Parkinson on Diamond and Embleton
Sunderland have welcomed youngsters Jack Diamond and Elliot Embleton back to training during pre-season, providing more options for the Black Cats.
Diamond impressed during a loan spell with Harrogate last season while Embleton missed most of the campaign through injury.
Speaking to the club’s SAFC Unfiltered podcast, Parkinson said: "Another bonus for us as staff is that Jack Diamond has come back in this week and looked really good.
“Elliot Embleton has trained and each day he is looking better and better.
“So those two are kind of bonus players for us as well.”
He continued: “The lads have come back in great shape and I’m so pleased.
“The first ten days of training have been good and we’re building them up steadily.
“During this stage of pre-season, the sports science department is so crucial."
Northampton want to keep Charlie Goode
League One newcomers Northampton are digging their heels in to try and keep captain Charlie Goode.
The 25-year-old centre-back has been linked with Sunderland as well as several Championship clubs including Middlesbrough and QPR in recent weeks.
Yet Cobblers chairman Kelvin Thomas says the club are standing firm with their valuation.
Thomas told TalkSport: "We don't need to sell Charlie.
"We've now turned down four offers for him from two Championship clubs so we're in a decent place.
"If those clubs are serious about it, they'll pay what we think he's worth. If they don't, Charlie looks as fit as anything and he's ready to play for us this season."
Storey not seen as a credible buyer
Thanks for joining us today
That’s it for today but we’ll be back bright and early tomorrow with all the latest transfer and takeover news.
You can also find more Black Cats news, analysis and features on the SAFC section of the Sunderland Echo website.
See you soon.